Kate built up an incredibly devoted following, even before she took to the road. Recently, she’s embarked on her extended travels and currently she is in Southeast Asia — in fact, just last week, she was twittering from a movie set on a beach… which she of course talked her way into appearing in.
I hope she remembers me when she hits it big. Luckily, I caught her early on in her inevitable rise to the top and she agreed to answer my Lucky 13 questions:
1. Best movie that no one has ever heard of?
2 Days in Paris. Julie Delpy wrote, produced and starred in this movie about a thirtysomething couple whose life unravels in her hometown of Paris after a disastrous holiday in Venice. It’s a very funny movie and a very honest one — and it paints a picture of a Paris you’ve never seen.
2. Worst pick-up line you have ever heard?
It wasn’t a pickup line, per se, but one night in Buenos Aires, a guy in the hostel tried to pick me up by pretending to cry at the end of Liar Liar. You know, when Jim Carrey runs around yelling, “I love my son! I love my son!”? Yeah, let’s just say it didn’t exactly get the outcome for which he hoped.
3. Fill in the blank: in 2010, the most surprising thing that happened to me was ____________.
Finally taking the plunge and quitting my job to travel the world. The timing was as close to perfect as it would ever get, so I went for it! I’m a week into it and so incredibly happy.
4. Food you want everyone to try once.
Durian, and for one reason: there’s nowhere to go but up. It’s the most vile food in the world, smelling and tasting like a foot covered in onions. The Thais go crazy over it, which is a mystery to me.
5. Travel blogger that you most look forward to reading every week.
So, so many! I love Wandering Earl. Being on the road for 11 years, he has so many stories to tell, both entertaining and useful. Amanda at A Dangerous Business writes beautifully — I’m blown away at the effort she puts in each week! Art of Backpacking always has great, quality posts from its two writers. The Jetpacker is the funniest travel blog out there — they always make me laugh!
6. You have an unlimited travel budget for 24 hours. Give me your itinerary.
24 hours? Seriously, that’s it? Okay, I’m flying out every friend I have to Vegas and we’re partying up at Tao Beach at the Venetian during the day and Tryst Nightclub at the Wynn at night, bottles popping all over the place, everyone cannonballing into the pool.
7. Who plays you in the movie about your life?
Marion Cotillard is my Doppelganger…my hotter, Frencher doppelganger. I wouldn’t mind seeing her play me!
8. Single best technical tip (not “have good content”) you can give other bloggers to get more traffic to their site.
Other than basics like good content and basic SEO, try featuring other bloggers frequently (like the Mobile Lawyer is doing here!). When you feature other people, they do much of the sharing for you, and you’ll likely win a few subscribers in the process.
9. If you could be transported to one exact day and location in the past, when and where would that be?
I’d love to spend time in Florence during the Renaissance. I spent a semester studying there, and the love and appreciation of the arts has remained in the city to this day. I can’t imagine how much creativity must have been flowing during the reign of the Medici!
10. In a Barbara Walters interview with you, what question most likely gets you to either laugh or cry?
“Tell me about visiting refugees in Bangkok.” I spent a few days this week visiting Sri Lankan refugee families in Bangkok, and it was the most eye-opening and emotional experience of my life. These beautiful families, these gentle, kind, hospitable people, have escaped from hell and are now forced to live under incredibly tragic conditions. And yet there is so much joy that radiates from them. These people need help. Visit InSearchOfSanuk.com to learn more about them and how you can help.
11. What is your lucky charm or biggest superstition?
I’m a big believer in astrology, which I know many people dismiss as superstition. It probably helps that I’m a quintessential Leo!
12. Let’s hear one of your guilty pleasures – a good, embarrassing one.
13. You get to ask one person in history one yes/no question and get a completely 100% answer. What is your question?
Could I bring video? I’d go to Jesus, ask him what he thinks about gay people, and broadcast his answer to the world. You know he’d love the gays.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my feed.