Keith has one of the best travel blogs out there and one of the most interesting travel plans that I have heard about in the last few years. Somehow he has got his wife to agree to let him take nine one-month trips, starting now and finishing at the end of 2012. It is a great schedule of travel
As ya’ll know after reading the first two of these interviews, with Ayngelina and Gary, I am a huge fan of prime numbers, I have decided on “The Lucky 13,” for the number of oddball questions I am going to be asking. Hope you enjoy getting to know a little bit about some great travelers with (mostly) non-travel, quick and off the cuff questions and answers. So here we go….
1. Who is your favorite writer, past or present?
2. If you could travel with one person for one week, then never see or hear from them ever again, who would you choose?
I’m going to go out of character and say Paul Theroux. I’d like to know what he’s really like to travel with.
3. Person whose tweets make you smile the most?
4. Most romantic thing you had ever done?
Without question it would be going to Montreal with my girlfriend and a hidden diamond ring, and proposing to her one chill, October night in the Place Jacques Cartier.
5. You can be transported to one specific day and place in history. What would it be?
I could say the birth of Jesus, but I think I’ll go with my own birth day instead. It would be a hell of a trip seeing yourself born.
6. What is a game that can entertain you for hours on end?
Left 4 Dead. There’s something mindlessly addicting about brutalizing zombies and just trying to survive. You have no real goals, you don’t need to eat or sleep, you just need ammo and a wide variety of death-dealing implements. Angry Birds comes in a close second.
7. Specific for you, since you have your travel plans mapped out for a while: of your many one-month trips scheduled already, which single one has you the most excited right now?
South Africa. The blend of cultures, natural scenery, and wildlife is unlike anything I’ve seen. I hear they have damn fine braais and wine, too.
8. Fill in the blank: I will go see any movie that ___________ is in.
9. You, unfortunately, have been condemned to die, but fortunately, you get to have any meal in the world before you go. What is your menu?
I would go with a liquid meal of select single malt whiskies. Talisker 18 year, Aberlour A’bunadh, Edradour Cask Strength, among others.
10. Best single piece of technical advice (other than “provide good content”) you have received about travel blogging?
Build your brand before you dilute it with guest posts, product promotions, etc. I actually didn’t receive that advice, it’s just something I believe.
11. You are stranded on a desert island, with supplies and your ever-charged iPod. You can only have five bands/performers on it. Who are your five?
Love this question. My choices are: Radiohead, Boards of Canada, Mogwai, Thievery Corporation, and David Gray.
12. Who plays you in the movie about your life?
Jake Gyllenhaal. Honestly, best I could do.
13. You are able to ask one yes/no question to anyone in history and get a 100% honest reply — what is your question and to whom?
I’d ask Harry Truman what really crashed in the desert outside Roswell, New Mexico on July 2, 1947. That way I could get some quality programing on the History channel.
If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my feed.