Matt Long is one of the most introspective and thoughtful travel bloggers out there. Perhaps more often than anyone else that I read, his blog most often makes me stop and think. Higher praise I can not think of for a writer, in my opinion.
As he puts it himself on his website, “I am a typical Gen-X professional who has a passion for all things travel. My site brings a unique perspective that is hard to find online. I am not a backpacker, nor am I super wealthy. I am just an average person who has managed to travel the world efficiently and without spending a fortune.”
1. Most annoying person in the world.
Dylan Ratigan (I watch a lot of cable news)
2. You have to choose one city to live in for the next 15 years of your life, which would you choose?
Easy one, Paris. I’ve spent a lot of time there and even lived there briefly. It’s one of the few cities that never bores me and to which I always want to return.
3. Most disturbing movie or book you have seen/read?
Hmm, probably Watership Down, but that may have been because I was 9 when I read it.
4. Who is the dead historical figure you would have most wanted to meet?
5. What blogger, other than you and me, should everyone be reading?
Unbravegirl – a lot to be said for a wicked sense of humor. (Interviewer’s Note: And she is a soon-to-be interviewed traveller…. if she ever gets her answers back to me)
6. Best Halloween costume you have ever seen?
A guy dressed up with all of the planets revolving around him. Nice to see people in DC own up to their incredible egos.
7. Fill in the blank: The wildest party I have ever been at was in _________.
New Orleans. Enough said, don’t ask.
8. What question would most likely get you to laugh or cry if asked to you on live national TV?
(Imagined that this is asked in the future) Why did it take you so long to quit the rat race?
9. If you could travel with one person for one week, then never see or hear from them ever again, who would you choose?
Bill Clinton. He’d open up a lot of doors and be a lot of fun, but would be kind of annoying as a long term friend. (Interviewer interjection – perhaps Matt can ask President Clinton if he inhaled, on behalf of The Road Forks folks).
10. Number 1 thing to do on your bucket list?
Hugging a panda in Antarctica while hosting my own travel show.
11. Let’s hear one of your guilty pleasures — a good, embarrassing one.
I really like the Back Street Boys and N’Sync. And I still have a Marky Mark CD laying around somewhere.
12. Fill in the blank: I have no idea how ___________ got to be rich and famous, since they have absolutely no talent at all.
13. What fictional character would you most like to swap lives with for a year or two?
Doc Brown from Back to the Future, with a fully functioning Delorean. (Interviewer interjection — perhaps Matt can help Joel with his answer #12 earlier this week.)