2011 Travel Plans for… me

I have been mulling over my 2011 plans for a few months now.  2011 is going to end up being a big year for me, one way or another.

I need to come up with a source of income this year.  I feel confident I can make it through the rest of this year fairly easily (especially abroad) with the savings that I still have, but the time is neigh to me having to come up with some plan to start making money for the future — hopefully a future that still involves a load of travel.

The last few months have been incredibly productive in terms of creative formulation.  In the next few weeks, I am going to announce a travel bloggers challenge concept that I think we will be able to pull off later this fall.  I’ve got a long-shot television thing that I personally think is great, but who the hell knows — that business is like playing the lottery.  And about three iPhone/website ideas and I like all of them and might try to do them all.

Hoping that one or more of these things come together in the next six months, so that I can manage a location independent life.  I love it out there.  A lot.

But enough of talk of the struggle for the legal tender.   Let’s talk about travel.  Here is what I think I am up to for 2011.

One of the things that I can come to love in the last couple years is diving.  I am not great at it, but the sights underwater give me the kind of joy and happiness that is hard to explain to those that haven’t seen it.  The world is entirely different down there.

And I want more.

So I am going to go back to the Middle East.  My plan is to fly to Istanbul in early February.  I love that city.  It will also be really good to meet the Turkeys for Life and the Notorious Meg and her husband.

One of the main points, besides Istanbul, of my starting in Istanbul is that I love Turkey. It is one of my favorite countries, even when I have a really bad travel day. What I really want to do is take some pictures of the Cappidocia, Turkey region while there is snow on the ground.  It is such a photographically great part of the world.

From there, I am going to go to northern Iraq.  Now before anyone freaks out, especially my parents, this is just as safe as when I went to Somaliland.  Two great travelers and bloggers beat me to Iraq in the last few months, Wandering Earl in Iraq and Fox Nomad in Iraq.  The northern part is completely safe and I look forward to hitting it.

damascus syria

Then back through Turkey and down to Syria.  I love Syria.  This is a country that is basically undiscovered by Americans and you need to go there…. now.  Hamas in the north first, then down to, Damascus, one of my favorite cities.  And I want to hit some of the areas out on the eastern desert that I didn’t get to see last time.

From there, I am going to hit Lebanon, which I didn’t have time for last time.  Then back through Syria and down to Jordan.  Yes, I will hit Petra again — this time for multiple photo days.  Likely hit the Dead Sea, which I didn’t do the last time.

underwater photo dahab egypt

So that should take six weeks or so, then I am going to go back to one of my favorite places, Dahab, Egypt.  There, I am going to try to go ahead and get my dive master certification.

Dahab is one of those beach towns that makes you want ot stay for months.  So I think I shall stay for at least one.  Finishing the dive master course will take me that long and there is no place I’d rather do it.

From there, I am not sure.  There are some other areas in the Middle East I want to hit.  I hear the diving in Oman is great.  And Yemen is interesting.  Tons of places that people don’t normally go to — which is like catnip for my traveling soul.

87 Responses to “2011 Travel Plans for… me” Subscribe

1. Mike January 12, 2011 at 9:00 am #

Wow, those are some lofty goals. Very impressed. It may be ignorance, but I would be nervous visiting some of those sections of the Middle East. Glad I can read about others doing it.
    Mike recently posted..It’s Been Two Months!

• Michael Hodson January 12, 2011 at 10:36 am #

I went through in 2009 and have had a number of friends visit there short and long term. Its actually quite safe — and really one of the best places in the world to visit. So many interesting things and places. Hope you enjoy my posts from over there.

2. mika January 12, 2011 at 9:39 am #

hey, I’m emailing you about Cappadocia – i live there!

check your mail in a few minutes…

• Michael Hodson January 12, 2011 at 10:35 am #

Got your email. Many thanks! Look forward to meeting you in a few weeks.

3. Anil January 12, 2011 at 10:25 am #

Awesome to hear, sounds like we might be crossing paths quite a bit over the next few weeks. I’ll definitely keep in touch and hopefully we’ll get to meet in person.

• Michael Hodson January 12, 2011 at 10:37 am #

Anil, what do you have planned for the 1st half of 2011? Any locations set in your head?

4. Ayngelina January 12, 2011 at 10:44 am #

Is it wrong to feel jealous that you’re going to the Middle East and I’m not?
    Ayngelina recently posted..Parades are for suckers- unless you want to change the world

• Abbey Hesser January 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

I’m right there with you Ayngelina. Super jealous. No matter how much I plan the middle east in my head, actually doing it just seems like so much of a far-off dream and not something I’m actually going to be able to pull off.
      Abbey Hesser recently posted..Who wouldnt want to make 1000-month with their blog

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 4:49 pm #

well it seems like this is the perfect thing for ya’ll to come over there!

• Abbey Hesser January 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm #

I couldn’t meet up until early June. So unless you’re still gonna be around then, I’m out. If you’re still around tho, count me in! I gotta be out of schengen Europe from June 8 – July 29th

5. Jill - Jack and Jill Travel The World January 12, 2011 at 11:00 am #

Sounds like an awesome plan! I, myself, can’t wait to check out Middle East. Jack needs some convincing… hmmm. What to do…
    Jill – Jack and Jill Travel The World recently posted..Let’s Be Nosy- Simon and Erin from Never Ending Voyage

• Michael Hodson January 12, 2011 at 11:10 am #

well, I am all for talking ya’ll into it while I am over there! Shoot me an email and I’ll convince him.

6. Roxanne January 12, 2011 at 11:18 am #

This whole list of destinations made me smile. As a conflict management worker, I have to answer the “are you safe/why would you go there!” questions all the time as well. Get ready for lots of chickpeas in the Middle East – and maybe see you in Dahab!
    Roxanne recently posted..For last years words belong to last years language

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:23 am #

would love to run into you in Dahab or the Dead Sea and such. And love me some chickpeas!

7. Laura January 12, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

Would love to go to Turkey & Syria :) Sounds like some fantastic plans!
    Laura recently posted..Plains- Trains- &amp Automobiles- The Long Way to Bali

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:23 am #

really a great part of the world. I could live in Turkey. I like it that much.

8. Camels & Chocolate January 12, 2011 at 1:17 pm #

That’s awesome about your divemaster. I finally got around to getting my advanced this fall, and now I really want to do some specialty courses. Not sure if I’ll ever get around to full-on master classes, but who knows…

My husband also wants to go to Iraq–like, very badly! He was in Azerbaijan doing his thesis a few years back and had plans to go to Iran while there. Only, he sprained his ankle really badly, and it thwarted all his plans. Fate? Perhaps.
    Camels & Chocolate recently posted..Snowcialites Take to the Mountain

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:22 am #

he wants to go to Iraq – you want to dive more – sounds like ya’ll just need to join me over there for a few weeks!

9. Andrew Murray January 12, 2011 at 2:40 pm #

Wow Michael, it sounds like you’ve put together some pretty epic plans for the coming months. I’ll certainly enjoy following your journey though Syria and northern Iraq!

Wishing you the best of luck with your new ventures too!!!
    Andrew Murray recently posted..Island of the Gods – The Attractions of Southern Bali

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:24 am #

many thanks — luck (for the ventures) shall be needed!

10. Katie January 12, 2011 at 2:53 pm #

Sounds awesome! I just kicked myself that I didn’t get over to Jordan at the end of my Egypt trip. And I love Dahab! If you need a break from the beach, try a hike through the Coloured Canyon – it’s beautiful!
    Katie recently posted..Europe in the Winter Sign Me Up!

11. Erin January 12, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

Sounds like a great plan. I was always dubious about how good the diving in Egypt could be compared to Asia/South Pacific, possibly because it seemed too close to the UK, but I’ve heard lots of good things about it. Dahab seems to be a place everyone loves.

‘A New Day in Old Sana’a’ is the film that made me want to go to Yemen. That city looks gorgeous and it is tempting to visit a country I haven’t heard of anyone going to (except Chandler in that Friends episode!). Anyway, you can do the research for us as we won’t get to the Middle East until 2012.

Good luck with the money-making!
    Erin recently posted..Overrated Tourist Attractions

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:25 am #

Yemen is certainly on the list, if I have time, along with Oman. Have been talking to some people there and it sounds great. Diving is also supposed to be great in Oman. And, the Red Sea diving is the best I have done anywhere in the world. Not that I am hugely experienced, but is great.

12. Magda January 12, 2011 at 7:27 pm #

It looks like you’ve got a great year ahead of you.
    Are you planning to go to Wadi Rum desert when you are in Jordan? It’s an amazing place…
    And by the way, I love the tattoo :)
    Magda recently posted..5 top reasons to go on a career break trip

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm #

I definitely am going to hit Wadi Rum — didn’t hit it last time. Looking forward to hopefully camping out there some.

13. Garreth Lodge January 12, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

I really want to go to Damascus. I’ve read quite a lot of Middle Eastern literature and it just sounds like an amazing place. I am also jealous of you big time but I’ve got my own big trip to start this year but the Middle East is definitely on my soon to visit list!
    Garreth Lodge recently posted..Auschwitz- Revisited

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:16 pm #

Damascus really is great and the people are amazingly friendly and helpful. Make sure you hit it at some point.

14. Earl January 12, 2011 at 8:53 pm #

You’ve made me want to return to the Middle East immediately as I considered visiting Yemen (but didn’t) as well before leaving the region last month. Seems like you have some well-defined goals for the near future and I wish you nothing but success in achieving them!

And if you do decide on Yemen, let me know….
    Earl recently posted..Exhausted But Not Ready To Sleep

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:27 am #

if I have time, Yemen and Oman are going to be at the end of the trip. For sure.

15. Giulia January 12, 2011 at 10:37 pm #

Waiting for you in Egypt :)
    Giulia recently posted..The journey of my life

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

I know — we must get a beer or three, for sure.

16. Shannon O'Donnell January 12, 2011 at 10:56 pm #

Sounds like a really epic spring of travel! Looking forward to these new sites as well – good luck and eager to follow along :-)

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:12 pm #

your spring in SE Asia with about every blogger on the planet will be epic also — have loads of fun

17. Sunee January 12, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

Wow, what an amazing itenerary! Those are definitely some of the lesser-travelled countries that no one ever writes about. Can’t wait to follow your adventures and really looking forward to the photographs. Good luck getting your DM qualification as well – another possible source of income while on having a great time on the road.
    Sunee recently posted..The Best Idea Since Sliced Bread

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:11 pm #

I really need to focus on being better about taking loads more photos this time. I am going to dedicate myself to that, for sure.

18. turkey's for life January 13, 2011 at 1:55 am #

Ohhh, are we going to get meet another real person instead of having virtual friends?! Who knows where Anil will be :) but we’ll definitely be around somewhere.

Very jealous if you get to see Cappodocia in the snow. It was the middle of summer when we were there and we said if we ever went back, it would be when it was snowing.

As for the rest of your plans – wow! Think we might be trundling across to Antalya in March and we may go somewhere in September. An annual Istanbul jaunt squashed in somewhere…and that’s about as hectic as we get! :)
    turkey’s for life recently posted..Istanbul – Karaköy Fish Market &amp The Perfect Snack

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

aside from loving Istanbul and wanting to meet ya’ll and some other folks over there…. Cappodocia with snow is the main reason I am headed that path. Hoping for it.

19. Angela January 13, 2011 at 3:43 am #

Gorgeous Middle East, I was planning to settle there in the summer but probably I’ll extend my stay in China :) I’ve only been to the UAE, my next stop will certainly be Oman. Looking forward to your accounts!
    Angela recently posted..In China- where I wont get married

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

ahhhh, trying to see if I can get to Oman and Yemen also — good thoughts

20. CaptainandClark January 13, 2011 at 7:18 am #

*Swoooooon* I just got some new ideas for my next trip! I have a serious thing for Egypt. I’ve also had a little crush on Syria. It’s from afar as I’ve never been, but I’ve heard that it’s amazing.

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm #

both are great in my book. Syria was one of the unexpected huge pleasures for me on my last trip.

21. Andi January 13, 2011 at 9:39 am #

Sounds like an awesome plan to me! I’m obsessed with diving, obsessed!!!
    Andi recently posted..Happy New Year!!!

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:07 pm #

I did not know this of you. Are you experienced?

22. Sunee January 13, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Wow, that’s one hell of an interesting itinerary. Can’t wait to read all about it. Good luck with getting your DM qualification – what a great way to earn some extra cash while travelling abroad!
    Sunee recently posted..The Best Idea Since Sliced Bread

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:06 pm #

ahhh, don’t know if I will ever use it to work. Not sure I have the right attitude for dealing with novice divers like me ;)

23. Jim January 13, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

I’m with Ayngelina, jealous.
    It will be good to read your blogs on those places. An interesting itinerary and I’d come too but got 2011 full up now.
    Jim recently posted..Terror at the Red Terror Martyrs Memorial Museum- Ethiopia

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Jim, what is your plan for 2011?

• Jim January 16, 2011 at 12:41 am #

Namibia May.
        4wd across Kalahari June.
        Vanuatu possible as a quickie winter break Aug.
        Home for Rugby World Cup Sept/Oct.
        And end of year looking at Brunei Sarawak.

Somewhere in between, may have to work in a Romantic trip to Ireland. Winner announced tomorrow…. well we dream.

Iraq I want to read about.
        Just putting your link on my site …had overlooked it.
        Jim recently posted..Meeting Hanna Child Sponsorship- Why you should!

24. Ira January 13, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

Unless I find a job in Berlin, I personally am thinking of leaving Europe for Asia for a couple of months (stopping by at home in Russia for my grandmother’s 90th birthday) and then maybe flying from Hong Kong to Vladivostok and taking the Transsiberian.
    Ira recently posted..Day 12-21- Berlin

25. The NVR Guys January 13, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

Sounds like a plan. We will look forward to reading all about it.

Good luck on becoming location independent. It is a worthy goal fo’ sho’.
    The NVR Guys recently posted..NVR Toolkit – Be Grateful

26. Charles McCool January 13, 2011 at 4:51 pm #

Good luck with the long-shot television thing. The itinerary sounds fantastic. Closest I will be to you is Morocco at the end of March. Best wishes and fun travels.
    Charles McCool recently posted..Travel Tip- Local BusesMore Fun- Less Cost

• Michael Hodson January 13, 2011 at 9:53 pm #

I originally intended to start in Morocco and go overland to Egypt, but talked to people and can’t get through Algeria like I wanted to right now. O well. You’ll have a great time.

27. Cam January 13, 2011 at 11:43 pm #

Great plan for 2011!! Dahab is one of my all time fav places on earth, as is Turkey (insert slight jealousy here). I look forward to following your journey. Lebanon and Syria are high on our list as well. Unfortunately that list seems to keep getter bigger, not smaller!
    Cam recently posted..Drinking Beer Around the World – Part Six

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:28 am #

I really fell for Dahab. Such a cool, mellow little coastal town, I thought.

28. Bryan January 14, 2011 at 12:03 pm #

Ah, the middle east! We spent about 4 months there in ’09 and it was terrific. I just want to mention to anyone that might be a little timid about that region how wonderful and safe it is. We were welcomed like Kings BECAUSE we were American, not despite it. Don’t miss Aleppo in Syria, it was our favorite place there. The souq in Aleppo makes the grand bazaar in Istanbul look like a lame tourist trap.
    Bryan recently posted..Photo Friday- Petra- Jordan

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Bryan, it is interesting. The biggest and nicest welcomes I got as an American, would in countries where they thought our country hated them — Nicaragua, Colombia, Sudan, Syria. The people were amazingly nice.

29. Sarah January 14, 2011 at 12:22 pm #

very interesting. Northern Iraq (Kurdistan Autonomous Region) was listed as one of the top 50 go to places (forgot which magazine), Read a very interesting book called My father’s paradise by Ariel Sabar, part of which is set in this area (his father is a Neo-Aramaic linguist who works with someone I know). Please get me some recipes while you are there and if you are ever in Israel I will invite you for dinner (using those recipes, how’s that for a bribe)
    Sarah recently posted..Israel’s First Beer Expo-Not only Maccabee

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:30 am #

that is a great bribe! Would totally be up for it. And need to find that book – thanks.

30. Matt January 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm #

Sounds like an epic couple months you have planned – I adore Turkey too. Dying to go back!
    Matt recently posted..Traveling For The Unexpected

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:35 am #

well, I’d love to travel with you a bit over there, if you don’t head back to New Zealand. For sure.

31. Rob Bloggeries January 15, 2011 at 1:28 am #

Noticed you mentioned Dahab, several people have suggested I visit that place on my way to Europe. Also suggested it has everything you need to setup camp for a month or so. Cool seeing it again and looking forward to hearing about your adventures there.
    Rob Bloggeries recently posted..Camping Safari in Lake Manyara

• Michael Hodson January 15, 2011 at 11:38 am #

it is such a great little town. Hit it now before it blows up and gets big in the next 4-5 years.

32. Andrea January 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm #

Sounds like an awesome year ahead! Can’t wait to read more about it, especially the Middle East

33. Theodora January 16, 2011 at 1:18 am #

The Middle East is really calling me right now. We’re doing more Asia in 2011 — much, much more — across Indonesia into Papua, then up the mainland for China, Nepal, hopefully India, but I’ve seen so much amazing and beautiful stuff from Syria in particular that I’d really like to get closer to the MidEast.

Hoping the income generation plan works out for you. I’m at a similar place. Just started working from the road…
    Theodora recently posted..10 Things to Know before Driving Outback Australia

34. Jeremy B January 16, 2011 at 1:24 am #

Wow, that sounds incredible!! I will definitely look forward to your upcoming trips this year. I am intrigued by the Middle East, have met a number of people from there, but have never been. You are going to some great places. I read a post recently on Cappodocia (I think it was Traveling Canucks) and that place is quite unique! Best of luck on your trips and I look forward to hearing about these travels!
    Jeremy B recently posted..Australia on my mind

35. Cathy Sweeney January 16, 2011 at 3:48 pm #

You’ve got such fascinating places on your list. I’ve been having discussions with some people lately about Iraq (ever since I read Fox Nomad’s piece about it). I’ve always thought how great it would be to go there if you could be safe. I have to admit that it doesn’t reach my personal definition of “safe” yet, but I hope it will someday. I’ll look forward to reading about all of your 2011 travels!

36. Rebecca January 16, 2011 at 7:53 pm #

Sweet travel plans! I can’t wait to one day get to the Middle East. My Arabic teacher studied in Syria and her husband is from there – they tell me it’s absolutely amazing. Have also heard great things about Oman. And Iraq would be fascinating! Happy 2011!
    Rebecca recently posted..Look mum- it’s a lion! Tips for responsible animal encounters

37. Lorna - the roamantics January 17, 2011 at 4:35 am #

what an awesome 2011! a challenge, tv, iphone, diving, middle east, turkey’s for life…bet you’ll do them all too! maybe our paths will cross in egypt- dying to get there. and of course wouldn’t mind hitting the other fab spots you mentioned too at some point. looking forward to reading all about it :)
    Lorna – the roamantics recently posted..Squatting in Sihanoukville- Cambodia

38. robin January 17, 2011 at 5:56 am #

Would love to see Syria, and I know Petra and Dahab well. Sounds like a great plan!
    robin recently posted..Ruido

39. MaryAnn January 17, 2011 at 9:02 pm #

Michael, when you get to Jordan, go to Aqaba. The Red Sea is awesome for snorkeling and scuba. You won’t regret it. Good luck getting your financing in order. I would really like to see you on TV! We need a good travel show that discusses the culture and interviews locals and covers more than the best restaurants in town.

40. Kirsten Alana January 18, 2011 at 7:29 am #

Sounds like a fantastic list!
    Kirsten Alana recently posted..Friday Five for 11411

41. Globetrooper Lauren January 18, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Wow you’ve planned some great destinations for the next however long. We’ll be in India until May/June if you need an idea for afterwards :)

And please share your thoughts for the new ventures/websites/iphone apps. V interested.
    Globetrooper Lauren recently posted..Smart Phones for Travel- HTC Desire HD vs iPhone 4

42. wanderingtrader January 23, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

I think Earl and Anil actually opened it up for the rest of us! I think everyone thought about but never wanted to take the jump and now that they have done it everyone knows its safe and that it can be done. It reminds me of Colombia how most Americans still have that stigma that its not a safe place to be… Killer plans for 2011! Cappadocia is absolutely amaaaazing!! Im heading in your direction next hear starting of in Kenya hopefully we can cross paths
    wanderingtrader recently posted..JOSE ARTIGAS MAUSOLEUM-URUGUAY

• Michael Hodson January 24, 2011 at 10:29 am #

It does remind me a bit of Colombia. Good analogy. I look forward to hitting it. Earl an Anil did a great job of writing about it.

43. Margo January 24, 2011 at 9:07 am #

Looking forward to following as things develop… It’s all very inspiring – seriously – and thanks for sharing.
    Margo recently posted..Question of the Month- What Makes You a Travel Belle

• Michael Hodson January 24, 2011 at 10:27 am #

thanks for the kind words. A plan is a plan. Let’s see if I can make it to implementation :)

44. Sophie January 24, 2011 at 9:32 am #

The Middle East is one of my fave parts of the world as well – with some of the friendliest, most generous people in the world. You’ll have heaps of fun!
    Sophie recently posted..Stories of flying

• Michael Hodson January 24, 2011 at 10:25 am #

the people there are really, really wonderful. So counter to the perception of them in the States.

45. Alex Rascanu January 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm #

Wow! Have an amazing year! I also look forward to seeing the countries you’re about to visit.

46. Camels & Chocolate March 19, 2011 at 12:46 pm #

That’s awesome that you might go for your dive master. I finally got my advanced open water in Bonaire last summer and am looking to do some specialties next.
    Camels & Chocolate recently posted..Photo Friday- Truckee- California

47. Leslie (Downtown Traveler) April 21, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

I can relate to your 2011 goal- I would also like to make heaps of money this year ;) Glad you are pursuing an adventurous itinerary this year!

48. Maria Alexandra June 10, 2011 at 11:47 am #

U are going back to DAHAB this year!!!!!!!!!!! Ohhhh, how much I hate thee! ;)

And I agree with 110% of what u said about my favorite little town int he world =)
    Maria Alexandra recently posted..GypsyTranslator- I am in Love… with my Passport http-tco-3A33Ip5 via @mobilelawyer

Introducing Eytan Levy of Snarky Nomad

Dubrovnik Walls

Please join me in welcoming our newest contributing author at Go See Write: Eytan Levy of Snarky Nomad! You’d probably [...]