Interview with Caz and Craig of yTravelBlog: Lucky 13 Questions

Mayweather  vs Pacquiao Poster boxing promotion Mayweather vs Pacquiao Poster boxing promotion
Courage? To wear that blazer? ;) Courage? To wear that blazer? ;)
old school MJ old school MJ
but happy and wise but happy and wise
Caz and Craig are lifelong travelers that have been married for eight years. They have traveled together through more than 35 countries on a variety of continents and not have another bundle to bring along with them on the road, their incredibly cute almost-three year old daughter, Kalyra.

There is something very appealing to me about couples that have managed to travel together for years and years, and Caz and Craig fall well within my bounds that appreciation which borders right up against jealousy.  The couples also tend to have great answers to my Lucky 13 questions — like Dave and Deb, or Ally and Jon, or Akila and Patrick — and these two Aussies continue that great tradition as well.

Caz and Craig are lifelong travelers that have been married for eight years.  They have traveled together through more than 35 countries on a variety of continents and not have another bundle to bring along with them on the road, their incredibly cute almost-three year old daughter, Kalyra.

In their words, they “want to be a source of inspiration and encouragement to others so they can see the beauty they hold within them and the beauty that life can offer them.”  They have been so for me.

So go check out their very extensive blog, yTravelBlog and follow them on Twitter, and in the meantime, enjoy their answers to the Lucky 13:

1. Plant or animal you want to see, but have not ever seen so far?

Caz: A jaguar would be awesome to come across in the South American jungle. I think I could almost say I’d seen and done it all then.

Craig: I would love to see the wildebeast migration on the Serengeti in Tanzania and when they try to cross over the croc infested river into the Massai Mara side in Kenya. That would be nature at it’s best!

2. Who is your favorite pleasantly plump person?

Fat buddha statue

but happy and wise

Can we both nominate each other? With the way our waistlines are spreading lately we’re not far off it!! LOL

Caz: Oprah Winfrey. She is very open about her weight issues, yet never lets that get in her way of doing great things. I love her passion for life and how she chooses to share so much with others. She inspires me to grow a big enough platform to be able to help others on a massive scale- without weighing in massive on a scale.

Craig: Buddha

3. Travel book that you most wish you’d have “lived through?”

Caz: The Beach. I first read that as I was driving around Europe in a campervan with 4 girlfriends. I absolutely loved the adventure and the idea of finding your only little piece of heaven that no one else was privy too. That story really lit a fire in me to go to Thailand and when I did a year and a half later, I found myself somewhat living through the story of the beach. I did find my own little piece of paradise while there, and had adventures with a group of people whose characters were very similar to some in the book.

Craig: “The Jungle” by Yossi Ghinsberg. This dude was lost in the Amazon jungle for three weeks. Ok, maybe not the being lost bit by himself and being attacked by fire ants and every other living creature imaginable, but the adventure was amazing. And the life lessons he learned were incredible.

4. What is your favorite article of clothing?

Caz: My sarong for its multiple uses. It is light and cool to wear either as a dress, wrap-around, or skirt. I use it as a towel at the beach,. I can carry things in it and I have also used it as a shade before when it was scorching hot and no trees or umbrellas around.

Craig: My thongs (flip flops) and all my University of North Carolina Tar Heels gear. Go UNC!!!

5. First book you can remember reading that moved you?

Nelson Mandela wearing funny University blazer

Courage to wear that blazer? ;)

Caz: ‘The Power of One,’ by Bryce Courtney. It is my favourite story and I have read it about 6 times and am due for another. The first time I read it I cried from the beginning to the end. Actually, I still do. It is an inspiring story of friendships, overcoming obstacles and self-discovery.

Craig: “Long Walk to Freedom” by Nelson Mandela. What an incredible story of forgiveness and courage. That guy is a living legend! I still get the shits if someone takes away food off my dinner plate, and they took 20 plus years of his life, wow!

6. Three things you wouldn’t want to travel without, aside from the bare basics like passport and credit card.

Caz: My family, i.e Craig and Kalyra, my journal, and my camera. All of these help me make the memories and then record them.

Craig: An open mind, my camera because I love taking pics, and my best friend’s Caz and kalyra.

7. What is the superpower that you most want?

Caz: The ability to use hindsight as foresight, then I would have no regrets, and I would be swinging on a hammock on a beach in Thailand, full-time with my millions working for me.

Craig: The ability to become a rock star, is that a superpower? Or what about the ability to eat copious amounts of food and never get fat or drink loads of beer and never get a hangover? That would be pretty superpowerful wouldn’t it?

8. What is your favorite continent and why?

If I answer with one continent can Craig do the other? Because these two continents are hard to pick a clear winner from.

Caz: South East Asia- I love the laid-back lifestyle of South East Asia. The food is great, the prices are cheap, the shopping is awesome, the beaches are spectacular, the weather is hot, the culture exotic, the people are happy and friendly, there are jungles to explore and mountains to climb, and cheap beer and whiskey buckets to be had swinging in a hammock at the end of a busy day whilst watching the sunset. Love Love Love

Craig: Ditto what Caz said on SE Asia. But also Africa. I love seeing the animals in their natural habitat, I love camping out under the bright stary nights listening to the roars of the animals, and I love the adventure of over-landing in Africa. There is no place like it. Africa gets under your skin.

9. Fill in the blank: I don’t understand how anyone listens to _______ (music).

Caz: Gangsta rap about mothers and gang rape and ghetto shoot-ups. (Interviewer note — I am buying drinks for the Caz and Cailin Tweet-up.)

Craig: Opera.

10. Yet another fill in the blank: I’d pay good money to see ________ and ________ get into a good, rough and tumble fight.

Mayweather  vs Pacquiao Poster boxing promotion

Caz: Barrack Obama and George Bush

Craig: Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Junior. Two current living legends of boxing going at it with their skill and athleticism would be awesome. And it’s gotta be in Vegas – love that place! But I don’t think it will ever happen…

11. What is the most romantic thing you have done for each other (so at least 2 answers on this one)?

Caz: After spending time doing nothing on the islands of Thailand except swimming, eating, drinking, reading Anthony Keides autobiography and listening to and loving the Red Hot Chili Peppers, I hunted down on ebay dance floor tickets for Craig (and I) to the Chili Peppers concert in Brisbane, that was on the night of our 5 year wedding anniversary, just after we returned from our 5 year honeymoon.

Craig: Well, how about proposing to my wife on a sunset walk along Coolangatta beach on the Gold Coast in Australia, followed by a few cold beers at the pub, and then a nice big seafood platter. We’re pretty simple us Aussie blokes…

12. What is your favorite single food dish?

Caz: Mango time with my daughter Kalyra.

Craig: Smoked salmon and a red Thai curry with seafood. Oops that’s two.

13. Person you would most want to have a drink with?

michael jordan north carolina dunk close up

old school MJ

Caz: Jesus- because he can turn water into wine. Seriously, who wouldn’t want to have a drink with someone who can do that? If you give him enough tequila, he may just spill his secrets. Besides, I think he’d be really cool to talk to. He was a renegade, who challenged society. (I’d like to ask him his thoughts on how religion butchered his image and his simple message of just being kind to one another.)

Craig: Michael Jordan. I’m a sports nut, a HUGE Carolina fan, and he was the greatest ever! Nuff said…

p.s. Caz and Craig also recently wrote a great guide to travel blogging that you should check out, if you are out there writing like we are.

42 Responses to “Interview with Caz and Craig of yTravelBlog: Lucky 13 Questions” Subscribe

1. Akila January 20, 2011 at 9:36 am #

Love Caz’s answer to number 13! Great interview.

• Caz Makepeace January 21, 2011 at 5:27 am #

Thank you! You can always come along for some wine tasting when we meet him. :)

2. Skott and Shawna January 20, 2011 at 9:53 am #

Yet another awesome interview….I know there are a handful of travellers interviewing travellers, (admittedly a feature we have thought about as well once we get things going), and they are all great, but you do have a pretty incredible list of questions…nice work Michael…very entertaining!

…and to Craig and Caz, you guys seem so great (heck maybe you are even this way in real life) :). We love the fact that you travel with your daughter…and oh yeah, we plan on picking your brain a little more about the whole “camping in Africa” deal.

• Caz Makepeace January 20, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

Of course we are!! :) Come and pick our brains. We love talking about Africa. We have recently put a couple of posts out with some budget travel tips. Camping in Africa was amazing. Can’t wait to do it again this time with out little Kalyra!

3. Jill - Jack and Jill Travel The World January 20, 2011 at 10:32 am #

Great interview. And I feel cool by association to know that Caz and I share the same answer for #5. My ESL teacher gave me ‘The Power of One’ and it’s been awhile since the last time I read it, but I remember that it had such a big impact on me. One of the first ‘serious’ books I’ve read.

• Caz Makepeace January 20, 2011 at 11:27 pm #

I’m so glad you like the Power of One. I learn something new from it each time I read it. I think I really need to read it again.

4. Christy @ Ordinary Traveler January 20, 2011 at 12:18 pm #

I love Caz’s answer to number 13! I also totally love that they travel with their daughter. What a great life experience to give your kids!

• Caz Makepeace January 21, 2011 at 12:57 am #

Thanks guys! You sometimes worry about how you might hurt your child by living such a nomadic life, but I think the benefits of it far outweigh any other negatives. It is such a treat when you see her saving for Disneyland or talking about how she wants to visit Vietnam after seeing it on the TV.

5. The NVR Guys January 20, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

The NVR Guys have big blog crushes on the two C’s.

These are great answers, especially the one about our girl Oprah and “The ability to use hindsight as foresight.” Brilliant.

Oh, and Craig. Did you really follow Caz’s answer of “Jesus” with “Michael Jordon?” =)

• Caz Makepeace January 21, 2011 at 12:58 am #

Michael Jordon is God to Craig!! :) Love you two!

6. Jim January 20, 2011 at 4:36 pm #

Loved reading this. Hits a chord with me because we’ve travelled for 40 years together ourselves. Kay is a more private person, so it’s me out here in online cyberland fronting for us both.
    But couples able to travel together, with all the joys and frustrations that brings, and still be together, are forging bonds hard to break apart. I’ve followed Caz and Craig because I like their style and are possibly a younger version of ourselves- discovering themselves through discovering other countries, cultures and the big world out there.

• Caz Makepeace January 21, 2011 at 1:01 am #

Well Craig and I are very happy to grow into you Kay one day Jim! Travel does form a unique bond. I always think, there is no way we could ever break up because what would we do with all the photos! :)

• Aznzar January 26, 2011 at 7:51 pm #

I like Craig answer to a question number eight and he remembered me of the nights in African deserts amid the sand where you can watch in long-sightedness the vast desert during the day, and hold stars in hands at night. Jim I enjoyed too reading your stories and adventures and this is what making you unbeatable explorers.

7. Christine January 20, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

Loved this interview! They seem like such a positive, genuine couple with an absolutely amazing (and long!) travel history.

• Caz Makepeace January 21, 2011 at 1:01 am #

Thank you Christine! We are looking forward to meeting you when you come down under.

8. Camels & Chocolate January 20, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

My husband and I actually met traveling six years ago–well, living in Holland, but we might as well have been permanent travelers!–and we visited 12 countries together that first year. (And many more since then.) I think for us globetrotters, traveling together with your partner in the beginning is a telltale sign over whether the relationship will last or not–the grittier the circumstances, the better! =)

• Caz Makepeace January 21, 2011 at 5:29 am #

We always say that to friends who are couples and are thinking of travelling. “It will either make you or break you.”
      Craig and I took a risk by travelling together 3 days after our wedding. Lucky it made us. We have too many joint memories now for us to ever split.

9. Andi January 20, 2011 at 8:34 pm #

Represent!!!!! Go heels! I still can’t believe you guys were right down the road from me and yet we didn’t get too meet. Boohoo! I adore you 2 so much. Except how can you not like opera??????

• Caz Makepeace January 21, 2011 at 5:30 am #

I know!! We met you right when we were leaving. Never fear we will be back for some more Carolina Blue. It is our home outside of Oz. We miss it a lot.

10. Natalie January 21, 2011 at 12:19 am #

Is the beach book you read Caz, the same as the film with Leo? If so, that all ended really bad didn’t it? I would like that life but without the social implications that happened in the film

• Caz Makepeace January 21, 2011 at 5:31 am #

Yes. The film was nowhere near as good as the book. They changed quite a bit of it. It still ends badly. Their lives got screwed up through the fear of it getting screwed up.

11. Tran January 20, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

They are such a cute couple. Great interview as always!

12. Theodora January 21, 2011 at 3:40 am #

I do love the surrealist spin on these questions. And nice to have a duo interview

• Theodora January 21, 2011 at 3:41 am #

Oops! Sorry. I was going to say I do love the surrealist spin on these questions. Particularly when you have both Caz and Craig to answer them… I’d buy drinks for the Caz and Cailin tweetup too…

• Caz Makepeace January 21, 2011 at 5:32 am #

This sounds like a lot of drinks coming our way. Most excited about that!

13. Ayngelina January 21, 2011 at 8:29 am #

Agreed that traveling couples, who do it successfully, always amaze me. You definitely have to have something special to make it work.

• Caz Makepeace January 23, 2011 at 3:23 pm #

It can be hard work but lots of fun at the same time.

14. Abby January 21, 2011 at 7:36 pm #

Oh, yay! I love them — and their book choices.

15. Michelle January 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm #

Great interview. That Nelson Mandela book looks interesting…I’m going to look for it the next time I’m in the bookstore!

• Caz Makepeace January 23, 2011 at 3:24 pm #

Thanks Michelle. It’s an inspirational read.

16. Annie January 23, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Ok, awesome interview!

Craig’s superpower is above and beyond. All these people want to fly (save on flights I guess) and have x-ray vision but seriously no hangovers and no fat?? Amazing.

Also loved Caz’s answer to 13. I totally agree. It would be nice if everyone could cool it and be realistic about it all. I totally think that Jesus would wear a tuxedo t-shirt.

• Caz Makepeace January 23, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

Thank you Annie. I didn’t picture in a tuxedo. I had him in his long flowing robes,but the suit works well.

I hope when Craig finds that superpower he passes some of it on to me.

17. Christine January 23, 2011 at 2:57 pm #

I’m loving this interview series! Caz and Craig seem like such down-to-earth, genuine people and I loved learning a bit more about them. What an inspirational life you two lead!

18. wanderingtrader January 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm #

LOL water to wine! Its always nice to see these interviews to be able to get an insight on some of the ppl we interact with everyday.
    Im heading to Kenya to see the great migration this year in july or novemer. You guys should come!

• Caz Makepeace January 28, 2011 at 8:43 am #

We would love to come to the Serengetti with you. Consider us booked. Hopefully by then I will have the secret recipe for turning water into wine. What a great trip we’ll have

19. Zablon Mukuba January 25, 2011 at 2:46 am #

these guys make me happy whenever i read any of their blogs

• Caz Makepeace January 28, 2011 at 8:42 am #

Thank you so much Zablon! That is so sweet. We aim for happiness over any other emotion.

20. Craig January 9, 2013 at 8:14 am #

The Jaguar is, hands down, the coolest cat in the animal kingdom. I think it should be on everyone’s to-see list.

And can you imagine have hindsight as foresight? Never mind playing the lottery, you know how many embarrassing moments I could have avoided? lol

Love to Ski? For Free? Read on (and enter)

If you enjoy spending some time on the slopes, or have considered taking up skiing or snowboarding, then I think [...]