Interview with the Banff Squirrel: Lucky 13 Questions

I could live with that also I could live with that also
The Banff Squirrel came to my attention via Twitter and Thursday's travel talk with the #TNI hashtag. He has more followers than me. According to all ranking systems, he is more influential than me. He's often times funnier than me. And all the women love him.

The Banff Squirrel came to my attention via Twitter and Thursday’s travel talk with the #TNI hashtag. He has more followers than me. According to all ranking systems, he is more influential than me. He’s often times funnier than me. And all the women love him.

You should be able to tell that I’m not much of a fan.

In his defense, he does do a heck of a job promoting the Banff and Lake Louise area of the world. I assume he’s price undercut the human competition for that PR job, because it must be pretty much heaven to live and work everyday promoting that incredible place in the world. How the hell did a squirrel get that gig?

Bottom line, I am going to Lake Louise this June and figure all my kissing up on this intro is going to get me a free beer or something.

Seriously, go check out his wonderful Banff/Lake Louise website and follow him on Twitter. He is one of my favorite tweeps out there and you will get nothing but happiness and smiles from being one of his many minions, of which I am proud to be.  And in the meantime, enjoy his incredibly witty answers to the Lucky 13:

1 – what is the perfect animal companion/spouse for a popular squirrel with an attitude?

susan anton dudley moore B&W

I could live with that also

Traveling long distances is a bit of a challenge for a Squirrel, so I tend to cozy up to animals that are a bit more mobile. Banff’s local Elk are a charming bunch, but they travel in herds and I prefer independent travel.  Ideally, I think I’d like to bond with a Moose and become the Susan Anton/Dudley Moore of the forest set.

2 – festival or sporting event you most want to attend?

Between the Banff Mountain Film Fest, the Dragonboat Fest (thumbnail photo above), the Bike Fest, the Lake Louise Ice Magic Fest, fantastic concerts at the Banff Centre and the Calgary Stampede just down the road, I get my fair share of festivities without ever leaving home.

If I were to venture further afield, the Rio Carnival looks like a great excuse to wear fancy costumes.

3 – celebrity crush?

I’ve got a bit of a Squirrel-crush on Michael Palin and Douglas Adams. Not because of Monty Python or Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, but for their themed travels.  Palin’s gone Pole to Pole and Around the World in 80 Days, and Adams set out to visit the world’s endangered species in “Last Chance to See” (Stephen Fry did the TV version).  They both inspired me to be more specific and creative about the purpose of my travels.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb92wQpPG-s

4 - your favorite movie of all time?

I like the one on YouTube with the cute dog that does the thing. You’ve probably seen it. It’s on YouTube.

5 - person you would most like to hoist a pint with?

Most of my favorite pub nights involve meeting folks who have never been to the mountains before, or in some cases, haven’t even seen snow.  They help me to rediscover my home town and appreciate it in new and different ways.

6 -  language you’d like to be fluent in?

The Train Station Announcement Dialect. Pronunciation varies from place to place but they all share a crackly mumbly fricative, like Marlon Brando eating potato chips. My second choice would be Australian.

7 - Person on Twitter you most look forward to finally meeting in person.

I’m a bit reluctant to meet tweeps as I’m not sure they’d live up to their avatars. I’d be terribly disappointed if @EpsteinTravels showed up in anything but a suit and fully expect @Marilyn_Res to be surrounded by a green aura.  What if @LandLopers doesn’t really travel with an entourage of turtles? Will I become a stuttering mess if @TravelBlggr is even more gorgeous in real life? Can @MobileLawyer: The Live Musical do justice to my favorite comic book?

Some questions are best left unanswered.

8 – Charity that all of us should be more informed about and hopefully involved with?

I’m a big advocate for preserving and protecting one of nature’s most awesome and overlooked resources: the night sky.  Light pollution obscures the night sky throughout most of North America and beyond, but it’s a form of pollution that can be quickly (and fairly easily) reduced – you can start with a simple flick of a switch.

On a clear night in Banff, I can see about 6,000 stars, but in most cities you’re lucky to see more than a handful.  Light pollution affects birds and other animals in ways we don’t yet fully understand.  It robs us of the canopy of constellations that inspired previous generations.  And it prevents kids from being able to wish upon a shooting star.

The International Dark Sky Association is working to reverse light pollution both by raising awareness and encouraging use of proper outdoor lighting like the kind we use here in Banff.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpRM3yv01o0&feature=related

9 — give us a good embarrassing pet peeve of yours.

I loathe saucers, which in turn, causes me to dislike tablecloths. Absent a tablecloth, saucers serve no useful function and only add clinks and complications to the otherwise pleasant act of enjoying a cup of tea or coffee. Like neckties, saucers are a decorative nuisance that fail the simple test: why?

10 - What is the thing you fear most about old age?

Being dismissed as a grumpy old Squirrel and not recognized as a lifelong curmudgeon.

Plate smashing Banff Squirrel

caught in the saucer smashing act

11 - Location of the last place that you skinny dipped?

For obvious reasons, I’m a bit of a naturist.  The rope swing at Johnson Lake figured heavily in my most recent au naturel adventure and I’ve got the rope burns to prove it. While I can’t encourage nudity in the National Park, if a swimsuit falls in the forest and no one is there to ogle it…

12 - Three things you would never want to travel without, aside from the basics like passport and credit card.

I’m tempted to say my iPhone, with its seemingly endless suite of travel apps. But over time, I’ve found that it erodes my own internal compass and overrides my sense of wonder. The iPhone tells me where I am and what’s around me, rather than letting me discover it for myself or engage a helpful local. Paper maps, offering far less information, feel more like treasure maps full of intrigue and surprises.

So for me, the three things I never travel without are a printed map, a camera and a smile.

13 - Who is your favorite writer, past or present?

There are a lot of really great travel writers, both in print and on blogs, and I’m discovering more of them each day.  If you haven’t got time to read them all, just read Robert Frost’s “The Road Not Taken” – it pretty much summarizes all the other good ones.

29 Responses to “Interview with the Banff Squirrel: Lucky 13 Questions” Subscribe

1. Rachel March 15, 2011 at 10:14 am #

Could there possibly be a better answer to ‘language you’d like to be fluent in’? Hopefully my closed office door muffled the majority of my bursts of laughter.

2. Kelly March 15, 2011 at 10:28 am #

Particularly in LOVE with the saucer smashing photo. haha.

3. Lauren March 15, 2011 at 10:37 am #

Hahaha, hilarious!!!
    Lauren recently posted..Overcoming Your Fears To Follow Your Dreams

4. Cailin March 15, 2011 at 11:26 am #

Hahahahaha gotta love the Banff squirrel!!
    that is my favorite YouTube video too! with the dog doing that thing
    and this is definitely a great quote! “Paper maps, offering far less information, feel more like treasure maps full of intrigue and surprises.”
    Cailin recently posted..Favorite Film Friday 007

5. WanderingTrader March 15, 2011 at 11:36 am #

This post is hysterical and the pics to go along with it as well!! lol
    WanderingTrader recently posted..DAISY DUKES IN BRAZIL

6. Banff_Squirrel March 15, 2011 at 11:42 am #

Hi Michael! Thanks so much for your kind(ish) words and yes, there is a large vat of beer on ice for you in Banff and Lake Louise! Love your ongoing series of traveler interviews and very honoured to rep the forest crowd. See you on the interwebs ;)

7. Ken Kaminesky March 15, 2011 at 11:57 am #

Brilliant! So much character, in such a tiny body. Way to make all Canadians proud Squirelly, you rock!
    Ken Kaminesky recently posted..Natural Beauty and Old Money Moraine Lake in Banff National Park

8. Ayngelina March 15, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

OMG puts Mr. Bacon to shame! This is AWESOME
    Ayngelina recently posted..Not cut out for Colca Canyon

9. Leigh March 15, 2011 at 4:48 pm #

I love the rodent… oops, make that the squirrel. Great sense of humour. Great fun to read.

10. Ali March 15, 2011 at 5:39 pm #

Hilarious interview! I also loved the part about the iPhone. Technology is great but it’s nice to disconnect a little when traveling.
    Ali recently posted..Comment on Iguazu Falls by Laurel

11. Boomergirl March 15, 2011 at 6:31 pm #

One thing is for sure. He’s the best dressed squirrel I know.
    Boomergirl recently posted..Early Voices in Canada

• Banff_Squirrel March 17, 2011 at 7:29 am #

Thanks! Wardrobe and hair courtesy of Photoshop Petites.

12. Mica March 15, 2011 at 6:42 pm #

I am in love with the saucer smashing pic. Rope burns? Hilarious!!!
    Mica recently posted..The easiest Marinara sauce to make at home or on the road

13. Alouise March 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

Love the interview. Banff Squirrel is definitely the coolest squirell on the internet. Eliminating light pollution is a really good cause to get behind. Even in the small city I live in there seems to be less and less stars out there.
    Alouise recently posted..Road Trip Memories Week 2 – Going To Manitoba

• Banff_Squirrel March 17, 2011 at 7:32 am #

14. @TravelBlggr March 15, 2011 at 10:05 pm #

Love the saucer smashing photo! What a fun Lucky 13. LandLopers calls my avatar a “glamor shot” … inside joke from Mexico … I’ll have to post some photos sans make up and go au natural for Banff Squirrel. Uh … I don’t think that last sentence came out right … just sans make up. ;)
    @TravelBlggr recently posted..Festival of Chocolate

• Banff_Squirrel March 17, 2011 at 7:34 am #

Do you have a Susan Anton wig?

15. Christy @ Ordinary Traveler March 15, 2011 at 11:12 pm #

I love the Banff squirrel and his answers! Train Station Announcement Dialect? Never thought of that!
    Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted..7 Reasons to Take a Sabbatical from Work to Travel 30

16. Aaron @ Aaron's Worldwide Adventures March 15, 2011 at 11:18 pm #

Oh Banff Squirrel, you never cease to amuse me! And you’re a bit of a naturist? I never in a MILLION years would have guessed that! :-P
    Aaron @ Aaron’s Worldwide Adventures recently posted..“Be Safe…You Might Get Bombed”

17. Gareth Leonard March 16, 2011 at 12:21 am #

“What if @LandLopers doesn’t really travel with an entourage of turtles?”… that’s impossible.
    Gareth Leonard recently posted..UNDER CONSTRUCTION – A LOOK BACK

• Banff_Squirrel March 17, 2011 at 7:48 am #

Exactly. By the way, did you know turtles are prized for their wax? That’s how the @LandLoper-mobile maintains its showroom shine.

18. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures March 16, 2011 at 1:08 pm #

I’m smitten!
    Andi of My Beautiful Adventures recently posted..FAQ’s About My Upcoming Wedding Part 3

• Banff_Squirrel March 17, 2011 at 7:37 am #

Good choice. Smittens are warmer than sgloves.

19. Randy March 16, 2011 at 7:26 pm #

Keep it real Banff. Don’t let the fame change you, playa!
    Randy recently posted..February Rocked It Out at Beers and Beans

20. Erica March 16, 2011 at 8:29 pm #

You know, I never thought about saucers being pointless until now. I think an I Hate Saucers club is in order.
    Erica recently posted..Travel Photography – The Grand Canyon

• Banff_Squirrel March 17, 2011 at 7:45 am #

Yes! We could call it the Teacup Party and hold a big rally with signs that say things like “Saucers are for Kittens” and “Let Coffee Cups Ring”

21. Travelogged March 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

The Banff Squirrel is hilarious!
    Travelogged recently posted..Social Media Success for New Zealand- Plus a Rotorua Slideshow

22. Tami Reeves December 9, 2011 at 7:31 am #

With so few visible stars in the city, stargazing might be set to become the next big travel trend. The Banff Squirrel is hilarious! Train Station Announcement Dialect? Uh … I don’t think that last sentence came out right … just sans make up.
    Tami Reeves recently posted..Acne Tips

Top travel hacking ideas you haven’t considered

The Tuscan countryside outside of Volterra, Italy.

The ever-increasing popularity of travel hacking means most serious travelers have at least one travel-related credit card in their wallet. [...]