Interview with Erica and Shaun of @OverYonderlust: Lucky 13 Questions

Ummmm, Shaun?? Ummmm, Shaun??
Bond... James Bond Bond... James Bond
Perhaps one of Shaun's favorites? Perhaps one of Shaun's favorites?

I love being able to time these interviews occasionally with the interesting things that the interviewees are doing in the travel world. This particular timing is… knocked out of the park.

Today, Erica and Shaun are supposed to arrive in Mexico — their first stop on their long-awaited RTW trip. Yes, they are on the road and finally international. Let the mayhem commence!

I got to meet Erica in Austin a few months ago, when I was down there visiting some friend, but didn’t get a chance to meet Shaun, since he was working. She was fun, sassy and interesting and given Shaun’s answers to these Lucky 13 questions, she has likely met her match. I can’t wait to share a few pints of beer with him in the future.

So go check out their blog, OverYonderlust and follow them on Twitter, and in the meantime, enjoy their answers to the Lucky 13:

1. I am a little embarrassed that I have never finished a book written by _________.

Loving book by danielle steel

Perhaps one of Shaun's favorites?

Erica: Danielle Steele. I feel like I’m left out of the romance novel loop. My dreams are sans big muscley men with flowing hair and glistening bodies (sorry Shaun).

Shaun: Shit, now I’m embarrassed that I have finished a Danielle Steele novel.

2. Your favorite travel resource on the web?

Erica: After learning the how amazing social media is, I tend to use my peers on Twitter for most of my recommendations and general travel questions. I think you can get more out of varying opinions.

Shaun: Sometimes I talk to Erica on Google Talk. Does that count?

3. What is the superpower you most want?

Erica: Teleportation! Not only could I bypass being on a cramped plane (we’re economy seat people), but then I can be really awesome like that crappy movie.. umm… Jumper.

Shaun: Being able to kill a yak from 200 yards away with mind bullets sounds pretty useful.

4. Where do you want to retire to?

Erica: Where ever Shaun picks.

Shaun: It depends on how perverted I become in my old age. Japan is a definite possibility.

5. Most annoying trait of fellow travelers?

Erica: When I get asked about politics once they know I am from the US.

Shaun: Leaving before I get tired of spending time with them.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGJuMBdaqIw

6. Worst artist on your iPod?

Erica: That is an unfair question! If I thought they were bad they wouldn’t be on my iPod. If you were to change the question to, “Erica, what music on your iPod would you be most embarrassed about if someone looked over your shoulder?” I would have to say Katie Perry something of Shaun’s… like Slayer.

Shaun: How dare you, Erica. Well, I’d have to say that the worst artist on my iPod is something of Erica’s… like, uh… crap. She has much better taste in music than me.

7. What fictional character would you most like to have a drink with?

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GOL7n8PDSc

Erica: Bob Harris from Lost in Translation. Not only would I be back in Japan but I’m a huge fan girl of the movie. I can’t help it. It would be the closest thing to Bill Murray.

Shaun: Joan Harris. No, this isn’t Bill Murray’s wife in Lost in Translation, it’s Christina Hendricks’ character on Mad Men. Hopefully there is more than one drink involved since she is on my ‘list’.

8. I know you are a big roller derby fan: Who would you most want to get out on the ring and “show them the ropes?”

Erica: Well, considering I lack general motor skills (which is why I’m a rollerderby referee and not a skater), it would be a more of a flailing while screaming for dear life clinging to the ropes, I would still have to pick Scarlett Johanssen because she is hot. No other reason than to run into her a few times. *cough*

sean connery ninja you only live twice movie

Bond... James Bond

9. Best Bond movie?

Shaun: You Only Live Twice. Sean Connery and ninjas, ‘nuff said.

10. Book I should buy tomorrow?

Erica: Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto – because Chuck Klosterman is a freaking genius and I’ve never laughed so hard. It is a collection of satirical essays covering everything from Billy Joel to The Sims to Saved By the Bell.

Shaun: Dungeons and Dragons Core Rulebook Gift Set, 4th Edition.

11. If I know I wouldn’t get arrested, I would __________.

Erica: Go around and make Shaun dress up with me as Bonnie and Clyde while robbing banks 1930s style. If you’re not going to get caught, you might as well do with style, flair, and pizazz.

Shaun: Not have killed that hooker.

Dungeon Master 4th Edition For Dummies

Ummmm, Shaun??

12. What is your favorite article of clothing?

Erica: I’m going to go ahead and count my flip flops as an article of clothing. I wear them 11 months out of the year here in Austin (except in late Jan/early Feb when it ices over). Shaun made me throw out my last pair of Reefs because after 7 years, they looked like they had walked to hell and back.

Shaun: My Dickies shorts. I own 4 pairs including the bright orange ones I bought in Tokyo that Erica absolutely hates.

13. If you could ask one question of anyone in history and get an honest reply, to whom and what would you ask?

Erica: JFK: So what was Marilyn Monroe really like?

Shaun: Charlie Sheen: WTF man, srsly?!?

47 Responses to “Interview with Erica and Shaun of @OverYonderlust: Lucky 13 Questions” Subscribe

1. Pete @ Hecktic Travels April 12, 2011 at 9:26 am #

Great interview Michael, and timely indeed!! Best of luck to you both in your adventures. I must agree with Erica on her book choice. Klosterman is a genius, I especially like his chapter on odds, it changed my outlook on life. Everything is 50/50, it either happens or it doesn’t. And Shaun nice pick for Christina Hendricks, i think she’s on a lot of ‘lists’ ;)
    Pete @ Hecktic Travels recently posted..Communities and Babies

2. Jaime April 12, 2011 at 9:58 am #

Great interview. One of my fav travel bloggers that I will hopefully be meeting soon!!!

Oh & Erica once you have been on the road for a while you are going to want to use your TELEPORTATION powers to by pass long transportation days that require being in unsafe, crammed chicken busses. The economy seat on a plane will feel like heaven after all this…lol!!!
    Jaime recently posted..Photo Round Up – Week 6

3. Lauren April 12, 2011 at 10:13 am #

Hahaha, hilarious interview! Erica and Shaun are great and I can’t wait to hear about all their adventures! :)
    Lauren recently posted..Photo Essay- Embracing the Aloha Spirit at a Luau in Hawaii

4. Andrea April 12, 2011 at 10:49 am #

Funny stuff. Totally agree re Bob Harris!
    Andrea recently posted..Argentina Rocks- New Travel Day Rising

5. Michael Figueiredo April 12, 2011 at 12:12 pm #

Very entertaining interview! I love finding out about other travel bloggers… I’ll be sure to follow them now! :)
    Michael Figueiredo recently posted..Photo Essay- Windows of the World

6. Phil April 12, 2011 at 1:25 pm #

LOVE shaun and erica. Actually I loved Erica, and now I love shaun. I’m officially starting the “feature shaun more” petition. What does he have, one post on your blog? Great interview. Congrats on the start of your trip!
    B well,
    Phil
    Phil recently posted..A Few Ways to Make Money Freelance Writing and an Update on Cote d’Ivoire

• Shaun April 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm #

Hahah! Well, now that I don’t have a job I’ll be able to spend a lot more time working on the blog! I’ve spent so much time in the video game industry that it’s hard for me to know when I’m crossing the line, so I’m stoked to see that this post was enjoyed by at least a few people. There will definitely be much more to come! :D

7. Randy April 12, 2011 at 1:28 pm #

Excellent interview! Seriously, you really should have had Larry King’s chair. I’m a huge fan of Erica and Shaun’s blog, and I am super excited they are on their way. It is also good to know that I am not the only travel blogger who has killed a hooker :)
    Randy recently posted..Visiting Iceland on a Budget – Our Daily Travel Budget in Iceland

8. Lorna - the roamantics April 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

love love love love love!!! one of my blogging *sisters* <3 and her obviously equally awesome hubby. i'm SO excited for them both and am on the edge of my seat awaiting the first posts, pix, and videos. perfect questions for them michael!
    p.s. erica- flip flops, scarlet johanson and bob harris?! yet another notch on the fraternal doppleganger belt lady ;)
    Lorna – the roamantics recently posted..Cute Green Creen! Buying a Creen House on Wheels

• Erica April 12, 2011 at 8:16 pm #

Lorna, I’m starting to be concerned that we are too much alike. What will we have to talk about if we are exactly the same person?!?!?!? I kid. You’re awesome!
      Erica recently posted..RTWNOW and already reporting an adventure…

9. Skott - Get Up And Globe April 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm #

Just recently tracked these two down on twitter the day before they left!! Funny as all hell!! Great interview…
    Skott – Get Up And Globe recently posted..Resigned To Resigning

10. Christy @ Technosyncratic April 12, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

While reading this interview I peed my pants a little from laughing. Seriously. Which is a little gross, but illustrates just how funny and awesome these two are.
    Christy @ Technosyncratic recently posted..Ancient Cliff Dwellings at Mesa Verde National Park

11. Juno April 12, 2011 at 9:32 pm #

Enjoyed the interview!! I’ve never talk to Shaun directly, but I can’t wait to share a beer with him as well. And Erica is super fun, I’m sure. Can’t wait to meet you on the road!! :)
    Juno recently posted..Runaway Photo of the week 3rd May 2011

12. bethany April 12, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

hahaha! Hysterical! Seriously – May be the best one yet!! Shaun all I have to say is you are in trouble. Your answers are too good for you not to be spending more time in the ‘community’! Love the one about depending how perverted you get. hahaha… so funny! Erica your answers were fantastic as well and Michael you did a great job really getting to the bottom of things with these two. :) Great to learn more about 2 of my favorite online friends!
    bethany recently posted..Review of My Vacation travel app

• Shaun April 13, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

Heh, it’s coming for sure. Erica has been trying to help get me prepared for quite some time. I can’t wait too. :D

13. Natalie April 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm #

Great interview and glad to hear they have started their trip.
    Natalie recently posted..When a Blog Becomes an Online Diary

14. Nomadic Chick April 12, 2011 at 11:20 pm #

You two should be at the Comedy Store or on Myspace like Dane Cook and accumulate over a million followers, totally steal his thunder (cause he’s an ass. A hot ass, but an ass nonetheless).

My fave Erica answer – Danielle Steele. High-five sister, hate her.

My fave Shaun answer – Depends on how perverted I am. Japan looks good.

Your upcoming adventures will be memorable for you as well as us!
    Nomadic Chick recently posted..Nearly Trampled at Ram Navami

15. Julia April 13, 2011 at 2:44 am #

Probably the funniest Lucky 13 I have read so far. They are like a comedy couple – my kind of people!
    Julia recently posted..A Bucket List For Someone Who Doesn’t Do Bucket Lists

16. Manyu April 13, 2011 at 6:05 am #

“shaun: Not have killed that hooker”

LMAO!!! Classic! Have fun on your travels guys. Great interview!

17. Candice April 13, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Bahahaha, I think this is my favourite one yet. Love Shaun’s answer for retirement.

• Shaun April 17, 2011 at 11:39 am #

Just doing some quick math in my head, I’m estimating that I’ll be about 80% more perverted than the average retired man. This means it will go way beyond the old mirror-on-the-cane trick. Also, Japan was a life changing experience for us. We loved every second. :D
      Shaun recently posted..Episode 1 – Transportation Days

18. Lindsay aka @_thetraveller_ April 13, 2011 at 4:52 pm #

Haha I love the contrast between the two answering. Hilarious! I wish I hadn’t killed a hooker either…

19. Raymond April 14, 2011 at 1:32 am #

I walked in on my nine-year old nephew once and asked him “What’s up?” “Killing a hooker — with a golf club!” was his reply. Gotta love Grand Theft Auto. Shaun, hopefully your bludgeons were through video game only…:>)

Great interview!
    Raymond recently posted..What’s in Your Travel Toiletry Bag Slightly Troubling Things You’ll Find in Mine…

20. Mica April 14, 2011 at 1:04 pm #

laughing is a great way to not kill your partner. Facts of life. Great interview!!!
    Mica recently posted..Jamaican Bread Pudding

• Shaun April 17, 2011 at 12:00 pm #

It truly is. However, there were a few times early on where only one of us laughed… and that didn’t go over as well (like the time the hood of Erica’s 1974 VW Superbeetle flew open and smashed the windshield while we were driving down the road).
      Shaun recently posted..Episode 1 – Transportation Days

21. Adventurous Kate April 17, 2011 at 12:39 am #

This has to be the best Lucky 13 interview yet — Erica and Shaun, we need to meet sometime!!! Maybe I’ll hit you up in Latin America. ;-) Congrats on finally hitting the road!
    Adventurous Kate recently posted..A Night at the Singapore Night Safari

• Shaun April 17, 2011 at 12:04 pm #

Thanks, Kate! After we’re done here we’re planning on heading over to SE Asia. We’d love to meet up sometime. :)
      Shaun recently posted..Episode 1 – Transportation Days

22. Rebecca April 17, 2011 at 5:11 am #

Love these guys! And just got a little more insight into them, thanks!
    Rebecca recently posted..Photo of the Week- Sunset kayaking in Port Moresby- Papua New Guinea

23. Shaun April 17, 2011 at 11:29 am #

Thank you, Michael, for giving us the opportunity to take part in your lucky 13. We had a blast answering these questions and are stoked that this post coincided with the start of our trip. <3
    Shaun recently posted..Episode 1 – Transportation Days

24. cailin April 17, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

Great interview and yay for finally starting to travel!!! :)
    cailin recently posted..Favorite Film Friday 012

25. Ali April 18, 2011 at 9:44 am #

Our travel paths aren’t crossing anytime soon, but I really hope we get to meet one of these days. I really enjoy talking to Erica on twitter. Hilarious interview, you guys are awesome!
    Ali recently posted..Friendship in the Time of Twitter

26. Dina May 20, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

Over Yonderlust is one of my favourite travel blog, yay for Erica and Shaun to have started their journey!! Danielle Steele, a male friend of mine was so crazy about her books and he made me read many of her books. I was a teenager, and I was intrigued by romance, there you go.
    Dina recently posted..The Old City of Marrakech- Life Behind the Walls

5 spectacular things to do in Sabah, Borneo

Sabah sunset

The very word Borneo conjures up images of lush forests, remote outposts and wildlife as it still exists in few [...]