I loved walking around the old city in Damascus. I’ll certainly be doing a series of photo essays about it in the near future, mainly focusing on the huge, huge souk (market) there.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCcWr7IWn_U

The souk seems to go on forever. There are alleys this way and that and you can find almost any item you’d ever want in one of the hundreds (seemingly thousands) of little shops here and there.

On my last night in Damascus, I finally remembered that I could take video with my little point and shoot camera. These aren’t exactly the best videos in the world, but will help you get a feel for the size and atmosphere of the area.

Just a brief update on my publishing plans on this site for the next few weeks. I am currently in Dahab, Egypt — one of my favorite beach towns in the world. I have a couple dozen posts I am going to be doing on my last month in a half traveling through Lebanon, Syria and Jordan, but I’ve decided to not do them in any chronological order. So be prepared for a mix and match of locations as each day goes by.

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTu6pE_gMOE&feature=channel_video_title

Thanks for reading, following along, and passing the word along. Big announcement coming up in just a few days on The Ultimate Train Challenge also.

12 Responses to “Night Video of the Damascus Souk” Subscribe

1. Robyn April 25, 2011 at 9:30 am #

The streets are a lot wider than I’d expected. When I think of open markets I always imagine really tight narrow alley ways with people everywhere, bumping into people because it so crowded, always having to keep you eyes open for pickpockets, or just so that you don’t walk into something hanging off of a vendors stall

• Michael Hodson April 27, 2011 at 1:08 am #

Parts of it are really large — namely the big alleyway/street that most people enter on. Other parts are more narrow. There is sooo much diversity.

2. Lisa @chickybus April 25, 2011 at 9:43 am #

This is cool…great to see the video. Brings back memories of that souk. (I recall not just shopping but getting some yummy ice cream there.) You’re right about it and how it seems to go on and on. I actually got lost a few times!

I look forward to seeing what’s next and checking out more posts. Happy travels!
    Lisa @chickybus recently posted..Trippy Travel Photos 5-10…Guess what and guess where

3. Jaime April 25, 2011 at 1:19 pm #

Oh man you are not helping my itch at all to get to the Middle East already. I can not wait to get lost in the souk’s myself. I didn’t know they were that big.
    Jaime recently posted..Photo Round Up – Week 8

4. Roy | cruisesurfingz April 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm #

Looking forward to reading more about the Middle East. You’re quite a bit off the beaten path :)
    Roy | cruisesurfingz recently posted..Peacocks- Cast Members and Bravo Bravo Bravo Crew Party

5. Nellie April 26, 2011 at 3:00 am #

I’ve been wanting to go to Damascus for the longest time – especially since I’m a big fan of North Africa and the Middle East. Your last video reminds me of Macedonia and Turkey. Can’t wait to go and see if for myself!

6. Giulia April 30, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Beautiful!!! Yes the streets look wider than here in Egypt but I believe there are different areas with small alleys too : )
    It’s funny how the second video ends: “hello how are you?” (mental answer “ooohhhh just leave me alone, you’re screwing up my videooooo!!!”) :p
    Giulia recently posted..Basata- day 2 – The Greatest Beauty

7. Run Fast Travel Slow May 5, 2011 at 6:00 pm #

oh that’s great fun to see the video… do you have favorite things to buy in the souk?
    Run Fast Travel Slow recently posted..Borrowing Inspiration From Ferran

• Michael Hodson May 7, 2011 at 6:35 am #

I really am not a shopper, so I just prefer to take photos… speaking of which, that will be a post for next week.

8. site like this September 15, 2012 at 9:18 am #

I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. Such clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the great works guys I’ve included you guys to my own blogroll.
    site like this recently posted..site like this

Introducing Eytan Levy of Snarky Nomad

Dubrovnik Walls

Please join me in welcoming our newest contributing author at Go See Write: Eytan Levy of Snarky Nomad!   You’d [...]