The Phoenicia Hotel in Beirut, Lebanon — an Amazing Place

one of the bedrooms in the residences on site one of the bedrooms in the residences on site
the pool at the spa... the pool at the spa...
the plush Presidential Suite living room the plush Presidential Suite living room
the Amethyste Lounge, for some chill-out time the Amethyste Lounge, for some chill-out time
Maya and Ariane, my wonderful hosts Maya and Ariane, my wonderful hosts

Before I headed to the Middle East, I tweeted that I was going during a few of the travel talk conversations I have there during the week. In typical Twitter-blogger fashion, someone replied immediately with an unsolicited offer of assistance.

I’ve never met Charles Yap, otherwise known as @HotelPRGuy, but it is safe to say that he is now one of my favorite ‘tweeps. He offered to introduce me to some of his friends at the Phoenicia Hotel, so they could give me some advice on what to do and see in Lebanon.

Typically, I didn’t do any research into the Phoenicia Hotel before flying over, but when I walked by it on my first day in Beruit, I realized that Charles’ friends worked at the nicest hotel in town — a far cry from places I am used to hanging out these days, in my current backpacking/hostel life.

Maya Hanna and Ariane Massaad PR Phoenicia Hotel Beirut

Maya and Ariane, my wonderful hosts

My hosts were as beautiful and as distinguished as the hotel where they worked. They dedicated four or five hours of their busy schedule over two days to educate me on all things Lebanon (stay tuned for those posts — Lebanon is such an interesting, little country), they toured me around the fabulous and expansive property, fed me one of the best meals I have eaten in years, and then pleasant surprise on top of pleasant surprise, set me up with Indian Ayurvedic massage treatment at the hotel’s spa.

I could get used to living like this.

The Phoenicia has as unique a history as the city that it is located in. It opened in 1961 as a five-star luxury property and counted Kings and Queens, celebrities, powerful businessmen and various world leaders among its clientele, until it was forced to shut down during the lengthy civil war that lasted from 1975-1990.

It reopened its doors in 2000 as an InterContinental property and through various additions and renovations now has hundreds of luxury rooms and long-stay apartments, multiple restaurants, shops and night clubs and largest convention center in the country. It is truly a five-star property.

Amethyste Shisha at Phoenicia Hotel Beirut Lebanon

the Amethyste Lounge, for some chill-out time

Presidential Suite Phoenician Hotel Beirut Lebanon

the plush Presidential Suite living room

Spa Pool at Phoenicia Hotel Beirut Lebanon

the pool at the spa…

Residence Suites Bedroom phoenician hotel beirut lebanon

one of the bedrooms in the residences on site

EDIT: the photos on this post were provided by the Phoenicia Hotel. I wish my skills were that advanced, but alas not.

47 Responses to “The Phoenicia Hotel in Beirut, Lebanon — an Amazing Place” Subscribe

1. Dalene - Hecktic Travels April 23, 2011 at 9:17 am #

Um, hello HotelPRGuy, I’m going to be in Dublin soon… :)
    Dalene – Hecktic Travels recently posted..Foto Friday – She Rests

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 2:29 am #

one of the amazing things about the travel Twitter world is how amazingly friendly and helpful so many people are — I am pleasantly shocked so often.

2. Angela April 23, 2011 at 10:12 am #

That looks gorgeous! I’m jealous! I don’t usually go to hostels, but my hotels are just the next step up a dorm, would love to stumble on such a lovely invitation :P
    Angela recently posted..A Carnival of local markets around the world

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 3:59 am #

I am the same way. I walked into this place and my first and most immediate thought was…. “I clearly am not dressed appropriately for this wonderful location.”

3. Cam April 23, 2011 at 10:32 am #

Hello! Wowzers-those are some sweet digs! Living the dream
    Cam recently posted..Interesting Border Crossing from Nepal to India

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:12 am #

I don’t even dream in images this nice ;)

4. Elise April 23, 2011 at 11:37 am #

Love it! I think we all could get used to some luxury every now and again!
    Elise recently posted..Video Diaries- Tailors In India

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:20 am #

You and me both!

5. Andrea April 23, 2011 at 12:37 pm #

Gorgeous – my kind of place! Looks like the nightlife might really get going poolside there (?)
    Andrea recently posted..Visiting a Dinosaur Excavation in Neuquén

6. Shane April 23, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

I loved Beirut. Our own ‘thank you’ post to our hosts there will be up in a few days. By no means did we enjoy the same luxury as this but nonetheless it appears we both received hospitality typical of this part of the world. Did I mention I love Beirut?
    Shane recently posted..Three Photos- Dohuk- Iraq

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:21 am #

it was such an interesting city, to be sure. Can’t wait to read your posts!

7. Jaime April 23, 2011 at 3:34 pm #

Oh yeah I am jealous… that looks nice & amazing. Lucky man for being able to enjoy all that thanks to a tweet.
    Jaime recently posted..Photo Round Up – Week 8

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:21 am #

Charles is such a nice guy. One of my favorite tweeps!

8. Roy April 23, 2011 at 6:45 pm #

Well done, looks like you hit the big time :D
    Roy recently posted..Go To El Totumo Mud Volcano- Not By Taxi

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:22 am #

Nah, just lucky, but it sure was wonderful to meet Maya and Ariane.

9. Rick Griffin April 23, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

WOW – absolutely incredible! I’m gonna have to ad Lebanon and the Phoenicia Hotel to my bucket list.
    Rick Griffin recently posted..The Atlanta Botanical Garden

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:23 am #

Lebanon is well, well worth a visit (look for my posts coming up) and this hotel…. fabulous.

10. Benjamin April 24, 2011 at 1:38 am #

If I wasn’t desperate enough to go enough to go to Lebanon already, you’ve pretty much sold me on the place now. It looks incredible!
    Benjamin recently posted..New Language Mission- Mandarin Chinese!

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:24 am #

Benjamin, put Lebanon right up at the top of your list. Such a great place with some of the nicest people in the world.

11. Raymond April 24, 2011 at 2:14 am #

That lounge is lush. I stayed at some dump near the Hard Rock. I think there were rats in my lobby…
    Raymond recently posted..Semana Santa- Holy Week in Antigua Guatemala — Night Procession

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:25 am #

I could have lived in the lounge. LOL.

12. Matt | ExpertVagabond April 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

Beautiful!

(the hotel is nice too…)

Matt | ExpertVagabond recently posted..Climbing Volcano Masaya in the Dark

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:26 am #

my hosts were even more beautiful than the surrounding country… which is a high hurdle to overcome!

13. Debbie Beardsley April 24, 2011 at 5:02 pm #

That hotel looked spectacular. I think we’re all going to be best friends with HotelPRGuy!
    Debbie Beardsley recently posted..Fabulous Friday – Gengenbach Calling!

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:27 am #

he is a great person to follow for many reasons — do it!

14. megan April 25, 2011 at 4:18 am #

Wow! I’m always telling myself that budget is better for my style of travel but…um…wow!!
    megan recently posted..Afternoon at the Mongolian Museum

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 4:27 am #

A little bit of luxury wouldn’t stink, would it?

15. Ayngelina April 25, 2011 at 7:04 am #

.Wow you did a great job on those photos, it looks like a fantastic place to visit
    Ayngelina recently posted..The empty land that filled my heart

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 8:27 am #

whoops — I should have noted that. These are their photos. I’ll add an edit at the end.

16. TravelBlggr April 25, 2011 at 7:20 am #

Where was my invite? ;)

The pics look amazing.
    TravelBlggr recently posted..Bucket Lists- Running A Marathon

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 8:28 am #

This place is much more in your league than mine — you’d be right at home there!

17. Lisa | LLWorldTour April 25, 2011 at 7:51 am #

Hey!
    Nice. It’s amazing all the things we come across from Twitter, other bloggers, and just good people, no? I’ve been amazed at all the ways I’ve met people.

Just curious: Did you actually stay there or just visit? You said 4-5 hrs , so I am guessing you did not sleep there?
    Also just wondering: are those your photos or the PR/marketing photos? They look professionally set & lit.

It’s always nice to ‘clean up’ a bit and feel like more than just a ragged straggler now and again! It’s nice variety and cool to meet people on all levels!
    LL

• Michael Hodson April 25, 2011 at 8:30 am #

I didn’t stay there, just visited over a couple days. And the photos are their shots — I need to edit that into the post. Whoops.

18. Nomadic Chick April 25, 2011 at 8:23 am #

Seriously, is this place even real? Wow. I am stunned. Nice pictures!
    Nomadic Chick recently posted..Inception and Being Awake

• Michael Hodson April 27, 2011 at 12:34 am #

I know — almost unbelievable, isn’t it?

19. Jeremy B April 25, 2011 at 9:30 am #

Man, those are awesome digs! I really want to visit Lebanon and reading your posts on this is going to make me want to visit even more! Back in 2004, I met a girl from Lebanon in Paris and learned so much about the country and food there. Today is her birthday so Lebanon is definitely on my mind! Can’t wait to read and see more!
    Jeremy B recently posted..Win a Home Exchange Membership to Home Base Holidays for the 2012 Olympics in London!

• Michael Hodson April 27, 2011 at 12:36 am #

And the Lebanese women are so beautiful… but you know that already, if you hung out in Paris with one. Head on over and buy her dinner for her birthday!

20. Mica April 26, 2011 at 1:48 am #

Sweet digs. Ahh the days when you get to splurge and sleep at a hotel…and such a gorgeous one…looks beautiful. One day!
    Mica recently posted..Avocado Wontons

21. Christine April 26, 2011 at 4:16 am #

All about being (or tweeting) in the right place, at the right time! Looks awesome.
    Christine recently posted..The Easter Bunny Doesnt Come to Spain

• Michael Hodson April 27, 2011 at 12:37 am #

the amazing powers of Twitter!

22. Sophie April 27, 2011 at 9:26 am #

Lebanon tops my wish list!
    Sophie recently posted..The Bedoun – Kuwait’s stateless people

23. Market.Travel April 27, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Breathtaking…well written. I can’t pick which one is the best because they all look amazing in those pictures.

• Michael Hodson April 28, 2011 at 12:14 am #

thanks — it was really a wonderful place

24. Katie April 28, 2011 at 1:26 am #

Wow! What a spectacular hotel. The interior has similar features to the Burj Al Arab hotel. Are you familiar with it? It certainly seems the Lebanese know a thing or two about modern luxury-great photos!
    Katie recently posted..Hyatt Place

25. Lorna - the roamantics April 28, 2011 at 2:45 am #

score! those are some swanky digs! wow the twitter travel community is amazing. good for you michael- i’m sure it was such a treat after so much of the hostel scene. :)
    Lorna – the roamantics recently posted..Donating My Hair in Honor of a Friend on Earth Day

26. Vera Marie Badertscher May 9, 2011 at 12:36 am #

I’m currently reading Dining With Al-Queda by Hugh Pope. Have you read it? He talks about being in Lebanon in 1983 and then returning in 2000. Lebanon has changed fortunes so often. I wonder if it will ever be able to return to the glamorous city it was in the early 20th century.
    Vera Marie Badertscher recently posted..Morte dans Paris

27. Anne-Marie July 24, 2011 at 12:56 am #

1. Everybody knows hotelprguy!
    2. loved the comments about my country, makes me feel so proud.
    3. loved the comments about the leb women, hmmm naturally :P
    4. loved your posts about lebanon in general.
    5. that’s all for now.
    6. :P

Top 5 things to do on Hvar Island in Croatia

Hvar is a Croatian island located 29 miles south of the coastal city of Split, Croatia. Hvar is known for [...]