Men Traveling with Teddy Bears

Fast forward a little bit and I am on an overnight bus in Colombia. Actually, you don't have to fast forward too far, this was only two weeks after hearing this amazing teddy bear news. I look across the aisle of the bus as the day turned to night and we all got ready to sleep and what did I see.....

This Week in Travel is one of my favorite travel podcasts. I was recently quite honored to be invited as a guest and talk about some news in travel and the Ultimate Train Challenge (coming this September!  Get over there, sign up on the forums and start giving us some advice and tips!).

ultimate train challenge logo

OK, plug over.

So I was listening a few months back and they were discussing a study that said that 1 in 4 men carry teddy bears with them while traveling for business. The men supposedly reported that their stuffed animals remind them of home and the significant others they have to leave behind.

I was as shocked as the hosts and guests were about this bit of odd news. I actually googled it up and wonder of wonders… there actually is such a study. Here is the link to the CNN article on it. Turns out the author of that column actually does still have his childhood teddy bear — though he claims to not travel with it.

Yea right, buddy.

Fast forward a little bit and I am on an overnight bus in Colombia. Actually, you don’t have to fast forward too far, this was only two weeks after hearing this amazing teddy bear news. I look across the aisle of the bus as the day turned to night and we all got ready to sleep and what did I see…..

guy traveling with teddy bear on bus

Sweet dreams, senõr. Your secret is safe with me….

41 Responses to “Men Traveling with Teddy Bears” Subscribe

1. Poi May 26, 2011 at 2:04 am #

Yikes, A small little teddy maybe but jesus! Must have some issues.
    Poi recently posted..Alternative tips for staying fit and healthy

2. Peter the Finn May 26, 2011 at 2:58 am #

I always travel with a teddy bear or another favourite stuffed animal – both for business and leisure.

3. Iain Mallory May 26, 2011 at 3:41 am #

Haha I have a small Bloomfield Bear permanently attached to my daypack, he is the mascot of the footie team I support Blackpool FC and travelled to god knows how many countries in his own right. Had a few people try to ‘remove’ him once or twice, fortunately always spotted them and had a few ‘hawkers’ ask to do an exchange with me when they have been informed I haven’t any money. Would not dream of leaving him behind on my travels now. Come to think of it can probably write better than me anyway, should get him to do that!

4. jill- Jack and JIll Travel May 26, 2011 at 7:11 am #

How cute! You know we actually met a British guy who’s traveling with a small teddy bear. When asked, he said something about doing for a charity – but he was definitely being vagued about it. Now it makes me wonder…
    jill- Jack and JIll Travel recently posted..Beautiful Valle de Cocora – A Photo Collection

5. Robyn May 26, 2011 at 8:29 am #

Mysteriously my teddy showed up in my bed the other night. So of course I cuddled up with her.
    Robyn recently posted..Now I’m feelin so fly like a G6- like a G6

6. Aly May 26, 2011 at 9:06 am #

It is an interesting study, might test some of our ideas about appropriate image for “manhood” but I would be interested in seeing this study expanded. Is this more common in certain countries, ethnicity, age groups, ect.? I wouldn’t be surprised if men in Asia have a higher percentage of having stuffed animals, as it’s more OK there for men to have ‘cute’ things.

Though seeing a burly man with a teddy bear would still make me raise an eyebrow!
    Aly recently posted..Our Eureka Moment

7. Angela May 26, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Lol, his secret is definitely safe now!
    Angela recently posted..A trip- a photo – State-of-the-art Shanghai architecture

8. Justin Hamlin May 26, 2011 at 10:05 am #

That is quite the report. I can attest to never having traveled with a teddy bear. Can probably add to that testament that I never will.
    Justin Hamlin recently posted..How I Earned 200k Miles Without Getting on a Plane

9. The Travel Chica May 26, 2011 at 10:20 am #

We all know you have a teddy bear in your backpack. It’s okay to admit it.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..My Daily Toilet Paper Allowance and More Bazaar Rules

10. Don Faust May 26, 2011 at 11:09 am #

Sounds like CNN is intending the study to drum up controversy and website hits. Who does a scientific study like that anyway? I’ll bet if I asked the first 10 guys in my hotel if they have their teddy with them, I doubt many would admit.

Nice candid photo though!
    Don Faust recently posted..Cruising Carnival- Magic Style- RedFrog Pub &amp Its Popular Beer

11. John May 26, 2011 at 11:10 am #

When a man can travel with a teddy bear, then he is probably more secure in his identity than those whop wouldn’t dream of taking one on their travels. Anyone like to gift me one? ;)
    John recently posted..Free to view art- Part 1 – Street Art

12. Julie May 26, 2011 at 11:12 am #

I’ve been reading my favourite travel blogs for a few months now and this is my first comment. Thank you for bringing a smile to my face on a much needed day. Love it.

13. Juan Haffer May 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm #

Ha, the glories of being in a big moving tube with a bunch of other people for a long time.

14. Cornelius Aesop May 26, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

Hehe traveling with a stuffed animal, now what an odd thing indeed.
    Cornelius Aesop recently posted..New Brew Tuesday- Limoncello of Sorrento

15. Christy @ Ordinary Traveler May 26, 2011 at 2:36 pm #

Aww… how cute. I don’t know where they got these men for the studies because I don’t know a single guy who brings a teddy bear with him when traveling. At least that I know of.
    Christy @ Ordinary Traveler recently posted..A Fertility Restaurant in Sicily

16. Giulia May 26, 2011 at 3:14 pm #

Wonder how it fits in his backpack :/ Also, I don’t think I could sleep if I were the passenger next to him! For me, it’s kinda creepy.
    Giulia recently posted..When you fall in love in Egypt and you’re a foreigner

17. Juno May 26, 2011 at 5:28 pm #

hahaha……!!!!!!! what a great capture!! I also have travel buddies but not like that!! I occasionally took my Kiwi brothers (it’s a thumb – animal) or caterpillar as a small pillow. haha I’m not sure I’m a fan of teddy bear either. Even though I have this hipster mug with teddy bear on it (it was a gift due to some inside joke).
    Juno recently posted..Sometimes- I don’t really care for Solo Travel

18. Raymond May 26, 2011 at 6:56 pm #

I have a stuffed teddy bear that I may or may not take with me on my travels. It was a gift from one of my students and she actually cross-stitched my intials into the bear. I’d feel like an ogre for throwing him out…
    Raymond recently posted..Travel Photo of the Week — Try Peruvian Cuisine

19. Amanda May 26, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

Haha, awww.

I’ll admit that I still have a few stuffed animals on my bed, though none of them travel with me. What DOES sometimes travel with me, however, is an old tattered blanket that I’ve had since I was born. “Blankie” really should be thrown out, but I simply can’t do it!
    Amanda recently posted..Music and Travel

20. Pete Heck May 26, 2011 at 10:26 pm #

I just can’t believe that stat. 1 in 4 seems really high (myself being in the 3 of 4 category). I have yet to see a dude with a stuffed bear, but then again, I’m not really paying much mind to what they are clinging onto
    Pete Heck recently posted..Ireland Q&A

21. Hogga May 27, 2011 at 11:50 am #

HAHAHA omg. amazing!
    I still do have my childhood stuffed bunny… his name is bunny. I was creative as a child.
    Anywhoo, I don’t travel with him, he’s really small, but beat to death and fragile..
    Hogga recently posted..Move Around Barcelona Like a Local

22. Andrea May 27, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

That’s hilarious! Given the macho culture in SA, I have to wonder if it was a dare…
    Andrea recently posted..6 Things That Surprised Us About Argentina

23. Shane May 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm #

Jeez, that thing must take him over his baggage allowance when he flies.
    Shane recently posted..Beirut Why on Earth Would We Want to go There

24. Candice May 27, 2011 at 5:44 pm #

This is just strange and amazing. Also, so glad I’m not the only adult who sleeps with a teddy bear. Mine is a giraffe named Elizabeth.

25. 3Fortune Indonesia May 27, 2011 at 10:02 pm #

Thanks for sharing this great article, love it
    3Fortune Indonesia recently posted..Museum Nasional Indonesia Museum Gajah

26. Kirsten May 27, 2011 at 11:32 pm #

This might be my favorite article you’ve ever done.
    Kirsten recently posted..Robbed in Buenos Aires

27. Tijmen May 29, 2011 at 3:49 am #

haha, what a great shot :) I don’t think I have my old teddybears anymore, even if I would have them, I wouldn’t take them with me.
    Tijmen recently posted..Interview with Megan from OnMyWayRTW

28. Elle May 29, 2011 at 5:27 am #

I think it’s adorable when I find out men I know sleep with a stuffed animal. Plus, it makes me feel better about bringing my stuffed monkey Isabelle along with me on my adventures :)
    Elle recently posted..An Interview with Annette from Bucket List Journey

29. Torre (@fearfulgirl) May 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm #

A person traveling with a small sentimental teddy bear is cute. A man traveling with a teddy bear that’s half the size of his adult body? That’s a deal-breaker.
    Torre (@fearfulgirl) recently posted..Death By Cubicle

30. Erica May 29, 2011 at 9:47 pm #

Good lord that is a massive bear to be traveling around with! I also couldn’t imagine backpacking around the world hauling the extra weight… lol
    Erica recently posted..Cholula- Mexico – More Than Just Hot Sauce

31. Dina May 30, 2011 at 8:19 am #

Haha, if I carry teddy bear that size in my backpack, I only have an extra place for this laptop and nothing else!
    Dina recently posted..Fly Like Superman and Swing Like Tarzan in Costa Rica!

32. Cailin May 30, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Haha that is so cute!
    I personally haven’t traveled with a bear in a long time but my sister who is almost 30 still does! :)
    Cailin recently posted..How to do Montreal in 2 days

33. Theodora May 31, 2011 at 2:06 am #

OMFG. And I thought stuffed animals were the preferred accompaniment of ageing women with daddy issues. That is one terrifying statistic. Though the sweater in the picture does match the bear quite well.
    Theodora recently posted..The Great Hot Springs Disaster

34. Marilyn May 31, 2011 at 9:57 pm #

We all need comfort, and it comes in many forms. This is a classic. I’m all for it

35. Roy June 8, 2011 at 8:48 am #

I traveled with a Paddington bear for 5 years. 40+ countries. Took pictures with him everywhere. Until I left him in a bar in upstate New York last summer! (Too much tequila).

Still hurts….(and another reason why I don’t take anymore photos).
    Roy recently posted..The Day Estonian Customs Found Two Bags Of White Powder In My Luggage

36. Natalie June 9, 2011 at 8:24 am #

I had to laugh. You men are softies really!
    Natalie recently posted..A New Way Forward

37. Mike C June 9, 2011 at 8:30 am #

I think someone didn’t get enough attenton as a child or maybe too much.

38. Norm June 17, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Seeing him holding it so tight, are you sure you were not going through a border that night, maybe he was hiding some stuff in there. Thats pretty funny, I guess I could imagine someone with a small thing but that is way too much. Issues, issues.

39. Nancie July 18, 2011 at 8:38 am #

You set that picture up,,,,,,,come on ‘fess up. The guy would need a separate back pack just for “teddy”. Laughing hysterically here……now I am going to be obsessed with finding men who carry bears!! The question is…………ARE THEY REAL MEN????…………….:)

40. Georgette Harris December 9, 2011 at 3:11 am #

I don’t know where they got these men for the studies because I don’t know a single guy who brings a teddy bear with him when traveling. I think it’s adorable when I find out men I know sleep with a stuffed animal. Haha that is so cute! Mine is a giraffe named Elizabeth.
    Georgette Harris recently posted..Gout Tips

Top 5 things to do on Hvar Island in Croatia

Hvar is a Croatian island located 29 miles south of the coastal city of Split, Croatia. Hvar is known for [...]