5 Great Things to Do in Grenada

via citynet via citynet
cool off after a little hike cool off after a little hike
via www.underwatersculpture.com via www.underwatersculpture.com

grenada map windward islands caribbean

I had the chance last fall to head to Grenada to spend a month or so with one of my good friends who works there. I scored a really great couple of sailboats to stay on there though my friend, including a 43 foot catamaran that I fell in love with and found plenty of great things to do in Grenada.

Grenada was actually discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1498 on his third voyage to the “New World,” but is more famous to Americans as the site of a truly insignificant short war we had during the Reagan presidency in 1983. I think it lasted about two days.

I particularly remember Grenada because it was the site for one of Clint Eastwood’s really horrible movies of that time, Heartbreak Ridge. The problem in 80s in the whole ear movie genre was that the United States hadn’t won a war in quite some time. So when we invaded Grenada, it provided the backdrop for Eastwood’s “war hero” movie — a war hero with a soft side, of course.

Best Five Things to Do in Grenada

So I have been sitting up here in the wonderful Pacific Northwest for a few weeks and although I am having a great time, I am fondly letting my mind wander to quality Caribbean holidays, because… I need some more warmth. So, whilst holidays in Grenada are on my mind, let me give you 5 things to do in Grenada, in the hopes you might think about adding it to your future itineraries.

underwater sculpture garden grenada island scuba snorkeling

via www.underwatersculpture.com

(1) The Underwater Sculpture Garden. Designed by Jason de Caires Taylor, the underwater sculpture garden is slightly north of the capital town of St. Georges, it is easily viewable by snorkeling or scuba diving and is a really interesting artistic display, entirely underwater.

(2) The Grenada Chocolate Company, Ltd. For my foodie and chocolate lover friends out there. This chocolate manufacturer was a silver award winner in the 2011 London Academy of Chocolate Awards. It is one of the few small scale chocolate making fine chocolate right where the cocoa beans grow.

(3) Seven Sisters Falls. Hike up to these iconic waterfalls and cool off underneath them, in the pools ready made for a scene from a Hollywood movie. Simply one of the best things to do in Grenada — perfection both visually and for relaxation purposes.

(4) Walk around St. George’s. The capital of Grenada is underrated in my opinion. The older part of town is quite scenic and worthy of a few mornings or afternoons worth of strolls. Bring your camera — there are some buildings well worth snapping photos of.

seven sisters falls grenada park waterfalls

cool off after a little hike

(5) Dougaldston Spice Estate. I have done a couple spice tours and find the entire topic fascinating. Spices are such an important part of almost all types of cuisine and seeing how they are grown, harvested and developed as such is really interesting in my book.

So take a chance on Grenada. I hope I’ve given you a reasonable list of great things to do in Grenada, but there is a ton more — great beaches, really good scuba diving, excellent Caribbean food and wonderful people — along with some of the best sailing in the world. Enjoy.

44 Responses to “5 Great Things to Do in Grenada” Subscribe

1. Pete Heck June 25, 2011 at 6:35 pm #

Those 5 reasons have convinced me I should go. That underwater sculpture is really cool, and Dalene and I are always suckers for places that excel in the manufacturing of chocolate.

• Michael Hodson July 9, 2011 at 12:52 pm #

I feel kind of lame, in that I didn’t do the underwater sculptures myself, but more reason to go back…

2. Nicole June 25, 2011 at 8:59 pm #

One of my favorite parts of the world. Definitely worth taking on chance on!

• Michael Hodson July 9, 2011 at 12:53 pm #

Yea, I love that whole area also. Just need more income ;)

3. Linda June 26, 2011 at 6:57 am #

Wow. It all sounds like perfection to me! I had a friend who was there for a while some years back, but was forced home in the chaos after hurricane Ivan. I’d been hoping to go visit her. Is obviously something I must catch up on, even though she is no longer there! I think I’d go just to experience any one of those things. That underwater sculpture garden looks amazing!

• Michael Hodson July 9, 2011 at 12:55 pm #

We almost had a hurricane when I just arrived. Just missed us and hit like 2 islands north.

4. Marianne June 26, 2011 at 10:29 am #

I called in at Grenada whilst on a Caribbean cruise, a few years ago and brought home some spice necklaces to hang in my kitchen.

I could smell the glorious nutmeg for months afterwards, always evoking wonderful memories of my trip.

Thanks for reminding me :)

• Michael Hodson July 9, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

Mmmmmm, nutmeg. One of my favorites.

5. Roy | cruisesurfingz June 26, 2011 at 4:07 pm #

You had me at chocolate!

6. The Travel Chica June 27, 2011 at 5:24 am #

Love the photo of the underwater sculpture garden. I’ve never seen anything like that before.

• Michael Hodson July 9, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

unfortunately… me either ;) But I hear there are other places that guy has done that also.

7. Sophie June 27, 2011 at 5:41 am #

I was in Grenada ages ago; what I remember mostly is the scent of nutmeg and how green everything was. Lovely island. And chocolate… perhaps another visit is in order…

8. Randy June 27, 2011 at 2:59 pm #

Sounds fantastic! That’s great you got to stay on a few sailboats during your trip. I miss staying on our 27 foot sailboat.

• Michael Hodson July 9, 2011 at 1:00 pm #

27 feet?? Damn, I couldn’t do that for long. LOL.

9. Cailin June 27, 2011 at 7:43 pm #

the underwater sculpture is so creepy!
    very cool :)

10. Agnieszka June 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm #

I had the pleasure of visiting Grenada a 3 weeks ago and I had an unbelievable time. The people are the friendliest people I’ve ever met anywhere. The food is delicious and very flavourful and the scenery is breathtaking. Walks along the Grand Anse beach is what I miss most along with the upbeat and energetic town of Gouyave. I especially recommend “fish friday” held every friday in Gouyave. Food is fantastic! I love Grenada so much and my fiance who is of Grenadian decent will be getting married there next May. :o) 2 restaurants worth checking out are True Blue Bay and the Aquarium restaurant. Yum!

• Michael Hodson July 9, 2011 at 1:02 pm #

thanks for finding my blog and giving us these great tips!!

11. Shirley June 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm #

Grenada is beautiful and full of lovely friendly people – so pleased you had a good time

12. Leslie (Downtown Traveler) June 28, 2011 at 10:02 pm #

The underwater sculpture garden looks cool!

13. Justin Hamlin June 29, 2011 at 6:38 am #

Yup, just added Grenada to my list of places to go. Great write-up and 5 very convincing reasons.

14. Juan Haffer June 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm #

It looks like a great tropical place to spend a couple weeks.

15. Dina July 9, 2011 at 9:01 am #

The capital of Grenada is one of my favourite of Caribbean capitals (I love Curacao’s too). It’s a bit sad to see the remnants of the war still there, but in the same time it adds to the charm of the city. Too bad we didn’t get the chance to see the underwater heads!

• Michael Hodson July 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm #

it is a really nice little capital. Compact and scenic and a great harbor.

16. Rachelle (@TravelBlggr) July 11, 2011 at 7:39 am #

Did you have a chance to see any of the other surrounding islands? Any you’d recommend?

17. DTravelsRound July 24, 2011 at 7:46 pm #

OK — the underwater sculpture is creepy. Cool. But creepy.

18. Don Faust July 26, 2011 at 2:22 pm #

Michael – just stumbled into this one. Did you see a nutmeg factory? I remember my first trip to Grenada probably 15 years ago, and we drove the whole island, and through the nutmeg groves. You could literally smell it.

Last year Chris also toured a rum factory. Sounded very interesting. I hope you got your fill of rum – there are numerous “rum shacks” all over the island.

19. Erin August 15, 2011 at 6:48 pm #

The underwater sculpture garden just made it on to my bucket list!
    Erin recently posted..Happy Mother’s Day, 4 More Earthquakes, and Hello Rain!

20. Vanessa Kirk December 8, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

Definitely worth taking on chance on! It’s a bit sad to see the remnants of the war still there, but in the same time it adds to the charm of the city.
    Vanessa Kirk recently posted..Cancer Tattoos Tumblr

21. Neil December 29, 2011 at 9:44 am #

Thanks for the tips, off to the island in Feb with my girlfriend to see her dad. Underwater sculture has been added to the list of to-do’s.

Cheers.
    Neil recently posted..I really have no idea what I’m doing but thanks

22. Chris December 30, 2011 at 8:56 am #

The Underwater sculpture garden is just amazing, I never consider Grenada one of the places that I want to visit. By reading your post, I quite change my mind!!
    Ciao
    Chris recently posted..Marostica: una citta’ che colpisce ed emoziona

23. Keri Foley February 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm #

Compact and scenic and a great harbor. Walks along the Grand Anse beach is what I miss most along with the upbeat and energetic town of Gouyave.

24. Jan Nixon February 18, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

By reading your post, I quite change my mind!! I’d been hoping to go visit her. Yup, just added Grenada to my list of places to go.

25. Lourdes Conner February 18, 2012 at 6:17 pm #

You could literally smell it.Last year Chris also toured a rum factory. We almost had a hurricane when I just arrived. I had the pleasure of visiting Grenada a 3 weeks ago and I had an unbelievable time. Thanks for the tips, off to the island in Feb with my girlfriend to see her dad.

26. Alan Flint December 15, 2012 at 10:03 pm #

Also being from the caribbean I have a general idea of ow grenada would be but really want to go their myself.
    Alan Flint recently posted..7 Tips to smart and easy travel

27. James Shaw May 18, 2013 at 1:29 am #

It’s amazing that there are many islands to visit and many things to do in the Caribbean. I love the night life is there any activities at night in Grenada?

Testing my relationship with gravity at Angel Fire Bike Park

If there’s ever a place to test your relationship with gravity, it’s here — Northern New Mexico, land of high [...]