Venice in Colorful Photographs

just the stuff you see around every other corner just the stuff you see around every other corner
just a cool building, with one of the few trees in town just a cool building, with one of the few trees in town
some more black and white Venice photography some more black and white Venice photography
Venice Grand Canal from Accademia Bridge Venice Grand Canal from Accademia Bridge
I just like this gondolier and he was nice enough to allow me to photograph him I just like this gondolier and he was nice enough to allow me to photograph him
although the colors are great in Venice, I like some B&W here also although the colors are great in Venice, I like some B&W here also

canals of Venice Italy in HDRVenice is one of my favorite cities to shoot photos in. The colors are amazing, similar to Cartagena in that respect. The juxtaposition of the water and the buildings and the light and shadows can be breathtaking. And the lines provided by the canals make for great photography sight lines.

There is nothing like Venice for a photographer.

I think I took about 1,000 photographs in the two days that I spent in Venice, so excuse my slowly bringing them out here on the website, since I’ve got so many to go through. Here are a few more that I liked quite a bit — hope you do also.

Venice canal in black and white

although the colors are great in Venice, I like some B&W here also

Venice Gondolier portrait on chair

I just like this gondolier and he was nice enough to allow me to photograph him

photographs of venice italy

Venice Grand Canal from Accademia Bridge

venice italy photography

some more black and white Venice photography

photographs of venice italy

just a cool building, with one of the few trees in town

venice italy photographs

just the stuff you see around every other corner

If you haven’t been to Venice, I hope you take a few days and really enjoy it. Try to stay away from the area around the Plaza San Marco, which is the hub of the tourist area, and explore around the other parts of the various islands. Venice, Italy is an amazing place to get lost, eat, drink and take great photographs. Enjoy.

18 Responses to “Venice in Colorful Photographs” Subscribe

1. Turkey's For Life July 23, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Great photos. Looks as though you really enjoyed Venice, then? Italy’s been on our list for ages. We even bought the Rough Guide to Italy in 1998 because we were going to travel the country by train…we came to Turkey for the first time instead and now look what’s happened!! :)
    Julia

2. Amy July 23, 2011 at 11:10 am #

Great pictures. I had pleasure of being in Venice November 2009 and these pictures brought me back. Admit that I never thought of turning some of the pictures to black & white but seeing these… Will have to look through them again and see what could work! Thanks for the ideas,

3. Maggie from Destination Exploration July 23, 2011 at 6:57 pm #

Beautiful photos! Venice has been a travel dream since I read The City of Falling Angels about 5 years ago.

4. TravelEater July 23, 2011 at 9:30 pm #

Beautiful – I especially love the black & whites and the last photo. Hope you ate well while yiubwere there! :-)

5. Lisa @chickybus July 23, 2011 at 9:37 pm #

Great shots! Love the colors (and the b/w), angles and composition…wow!

6. Rolando Peralta July 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm #

Fantastic pictures! the one taken from Accademia Bridge is a fantastic piece that reminds me those masterworks from Canaletto.
    Thank you for sharing them!
    @RolandoPeralta

7. Marie Ohanesian Nardin July 24, 2011 at 3:04 am #

You’ve done this beautiful city justice!

8. Linda July 24, 2011 at 4:36 am #

I’ve only been to Venice once, and happily for me it was at a time when money wasn’t so tight, and we had introductions to local people, even then I remember thinking how expensive it was but TOTALLY worth it. It’s beauty and its atmosphere are totally unique

9. Allison July 24, 2011 at 11:52 am #

I love Venice!! These photos really make me want to go back for a visit. I particularly like the B&W shots. In a city so full of color it is a really lovely way to highlight the beauty of the architecture.

10. Nomadic Samuel July 24, 2011 at 1:41 pm #

Nice variety of pictures Michael – my fav being the b&w statue.

11. Emily in Chile July 24, 2011 at 8:33 pm #

That first photo is gorgeous and very much what I think of when I think Venice without being quite as in your face “this is Venice” as the stereotypical picture of a gondolier standing on the prow of his gondola.

12. The Travel Chica July 25, 2011 at 1:05 pm #

I really like the black-and-whites.

13. bethany August 12, 2011 at 4:02 pm #

Cool pics Michael! Venice is a photographer’s dream for sure!

14. miguel April 15, 2012 at 12:43 am #

I was living at Treviso (few miles from Venice) 11 years ago, your pics taked me back on time, great job!
    I hope the venetians have treated you well…….

Compliments!

15. Michele October 3, 2012 at 3:22 pm #

Going in November and looking forward to the sites and taking some photographs. Thanks for sharing these, bellisimo!

Traveler beware: travel hacking problems

The Royal Residenz in Wurzburg, Germany.

Travel hacking is an easy way to earn loyalty rewards that can be redeemed for free or significantly reduced-cost travel. […]