More of the Wines of Lebanon

Yummmmmmm.... the wine cellar Yummmmmmm.... the wine cellar
the actual winery buildings the actual winery buildings
tap that cask please... now tap that cask please... now
wine right out of the cask wine right out of the cask

While I was in Lebanon during the spring, I had a chance to spend a few days in the Beqaa Valley, which holds the treasure of the ruins of Baalbek at its northern end, but holds its other treasure to the southern end, the wines of Lebanon. The wine culture in Lebanon goes back centuries.

The reputation of the wine of Canaan was such that Egyptians reported it to be “as abundant as flowing water.” So needless to say…. I fit right in here.

domaine ______

wine right out of the cask

I got in touch with Sebastien Khoury of Domaine De Baal by email a few days before I wandered over to that part of Lebanon and he was kind enough to meet me at a local restaurant to sample some of his wines. We sat down and he started the tasting with a bottle each of his 2008 white and red blends, beautifully paired with a platter of sashimi of a local whitefish and salmon, and I began to ask him about the wine culture in this tiny country.

In walked the Lebanese Minister of Culture, accompanied by another local winemaker for lunch. Sebastian got up and made his greetings – three cheek hello kisses in this part of the world – and introduced me.

Domaine de Baal is a relatively new winery. Its first vintage was in 2006, when Sebastien starting building the winery two weeks before the last crisis this small country faced, the war that year between Israel and Hezbollah that ravaged parts of Lebanon.

The two month war happened right during harvest time and although most of the violence was in the south and over near Beirut, Khoury told me that it still presented some enormous obstacles for his fledgling winery, most tellingly that since the airport in Beirut was closed for weeks, he had difficulty getting oak for his barrels and spare parts for his machinery.

But he perservered and is making a couple really lovely wines right now. He has cultivated about 5 acres of grapes, soon to be 8-9 acres, and is using French vines that use very environmentally friendly growing methods. As he said, “it is easy to do here. There is no rain from June to October, so there are limited disease problems.”

The red, as usual, was my favorite. It is a blend of 60% Cabernet, 30% Merlot, and 10% Syrah. It is really, really smooth, even at its young age. The tannins are extremely limited and it is drinkable right off the shelf. It exhibits a full bodied flavor, full of the flavor of blackberries, cherry, and plum.

He hopes to do some more exporting to the States over time and if you can find it on your shelves, snap it up. In the meantime, perhaps use it as another excuse to come over to the Middle East and visit.

Lebanon winery - Domaine De Baal

the actual winery buildings

Lebanon winery, Domaine De Baal wine cellar

Yummmmmmm.... the wine cellar

domaine de baal winery lebanon

tap that cask please... now

When I started posting a little bit on wine, I got contacted by a few folks that wanted me to try out some other wines from around the world. So I think I am needing to start a “wine list” that I need to keep track of. Right now, I’ve got Chateau La Lagune, Domaine de Bel Air and Franz Haas on my current list of things I haven’t tasted yet… but are more than willing to put to my lips soon enough!

19 Responses to “More of the Wines of Lebanon” Subscribe

1. Andrea July 31, 2011 at 12:35 pm #

Love the look of the winery! What are the grape varieties grown around Lebanon? Are there many different kinds? Are they all blends?

• Michael Hodson August 8, 2011 at 2:18 am #

I have to admit, I’m not sure of the answers on these. I do know that the same varieties that you seen in France were pretty common here, but I also think there are some local grapes in use, but mostly for arak, which is the grape liquor of the region.

2. Sailor July 31, 2011 at 5:57 pm #

Very interesting! And those casks looks pretty clean and new.

• Michael Hodson August 8, 2011 at 4:07 am #

I forgot to ask him how many times he used them before switching them out.

3. Angela July 31, 2011 at 7:34 pm #

This is very nice, wine-making is very interesting, I have family both in Italy and France, where wine is an important part of the culture, and I have visited many big wineries. I wish Sebastien Khoury all the best with his business.

• Sebastien August 7, 2011 at 12:25 pm #

Thank you Angela. Cheers

4. Italian Notes August 1, 2011 at 1:31 am #

Interesting post – I didn’t count Lebanon among the wine-making countries. I suppose the wine is very strong in terms of taste and alcohol percentage?

• Michael Hodson August 8, 2011 at 4:27 am #

Actually not at all. Similar in alcohol percentage and taste to other wines I have had around the world.

5. Brooke vs. the World August 1, 2011 at 6:23 am #

I would love to try some Middle Eastern wines! I’ll be sure to ask you for pointers when that time comes around :)

• Michael Hodson August 8, 2011 at 4:30 am #

I hope to be in the region and help tour you guys around. :)

6. Zablon Mukuba August 2, 2011 at 1:57 am #

wonderful wine, i love lebanese wine

7. Cornelius Aesop August 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm #

Never had wine from the middle east, but I’m a lover of all things drink related so I’m sure I could find some entertainment there :-)

• Michael Hodson August 8, 2011 at 4:59 am #

Wine, great people, cheap, wonderful history and places to see…. pretty great spot.

8. The Travel Chica August 2, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

I don’t know much about wines from this part of the world. Very cool that you got to check out a younger, up-and-coming winery. Mmmm… red wine. Must. Open. Bottle.

9. Theodora August 4, 2011 at 10:50 pm #

I always thought of Lebanese wine as roughly on a par with, say, Bulgarian, Greek and Turkish wines — perhaps a few steps up from Vietnamese wine on the scale of things. Thanks for correcting my ignorance.

• Michael Hodson August 8, 2011 at 5:04 am #

There actually are a fair number of quite good Greek wines also, but I can’t speak to Bulgarian and can’t imagine anywhere in Vietnam conducive to proper grape growing.

5 fun markets in London

For years, my dad and I have been taking two-day trips to London. It’s become a sort of a tradition and [...]