Through the Panama Canal: Photo of the Day

view from the bridge as we pass through the Miraflores locks view from the bridge as we pass through the Miraflores locks

Who else has been through the Panama Canal?

view from bridge cargo freighter ship through panama canal

view from the bridge as we pass through the Miraflores locks

On my RTW trip, I crossed the Panama Canal on my way down through Central America the normal way — over the bridge. But on my long, long freighter ride home from New Zealand, I got to go through it for the first time.

It was surprisingly cool to do so.

Some quick off-the-wall facts on the Panama Canal:

• the Pacific Ocean is actually about 8 inches higher than the Atlantic side, so yes, sea level is not level.
  • 65 ships are the most that have passed through on a single day.
  • the smallest thing to cross was Richard Halliburton n August 23, 1928, paying a toll of 36 cents since his weight was 150 pounds.
  • The highest toll paid for a transit through the Panama Canal until 1995 paid by the Crown Princess on May 2, 1993; it was US$141,349.97.
  • A boat traveling from New York to San Francisco saves 7,872 miles by using the Panama Canal instead of going around Cape Horn.
  • The Hydrofoil Pegasus of the United States Navy did the fastest transit of the Canal by completing it in 2 hours and 41 minutes.

11 Responses to “Through the Panama Canal: Photo of the Day” Subscribe

1. Journey Photographic July 29, 2011 at 7:39 am #

This is definitely on my must-do list… one day!

2. Megan July 29, 2011 at 8:53 am #

I know pretty much nothing about the Panama Canal…am excited to go and see it in a few days even though I don’t really get what it does or how it works…!

3. Marina K. Villatoro July 29, 2011 at 9:33 am #

I was going to be going there in September, but for some reason Panama seems to be falling through for me. It’s like the 5 time we planned a trip there and something comes up.

Now it’s becoming a small obsession for me!

4. Greg Goodman July 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm #

Great photo! I had the pleasure of visiting the locks in 2006 and they looked pretty much the same…I would imagine it always does! :P I also really loved the Panama Canal Railroad tracks nearby and the trains that would pass filled with hundreds of giant containers that just passed through the Miraflor Locks.

I also would love to invite you to check out some of my Panama photography at my site: Adventures of a GoodMan

5. Camels & Chocolate July 29, 2011 at 3:07 pm #

I’m crossing it in December on the last leg of our RTW-by-ship tour!

6. James Cook July 30, 2011 at 12:50 am #

I used to work at sea on Container ships and went through the Panama canal about 6 times. Its such an incredible place!

7. Sophie July 30, 2011 at 1:00 am #

We crossed in January. Took almost an entire day that.

8. Roy Marvelous | Cruisesurfingz July 30, 2011 at 2:22 am #

Yes! I’ve been through the Panama canal a few times while working on my cruise ship. It was exciting the first time :)

9. The Travel Chica July 30, 2011 at 3:02 pm #

I was lucky enough to stay with my cousins in a nice sky rise condo overlooking the water during my stay in Panama City. We would sit on the balcony amazed by the number of boats off in the distance waiting in line.

10. Jennifer Reynolds August 15, 2011 at 12:59 pm #

We traveled throught the Panama Canal last fall (2010) on the Norwegian Pearl cruise ship. Our fee for the Canal crossing was the highest fee ever paid (again due to the 2,00 passenger+ cruise ship tonnage) and it was $245,000 US dollars. We also only had about 1 foot on either side of the ship to squeeze through. It was pretty amazing to see the incredible engineering feat created and carved out. Thank you for your blog – it is amazing. I wish I had the courage to travel like you, but I do the best I can. In the past year I have traveled to Mexico (5x), Grand Cayman, Belize, Roatan, Columbia, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Azores, Portugal, Belgium, Denmark, Netherlands, Russia, Estonia, Germany, Sweden, Finland and Egypt. My goal is 100 countries before I am 50 years old (I will be 47 next month). I have traveled to about 55 countries in the past 10 years, but really need to step it up to hit my goal. Wish me luck. Thank you for inspiring me!!
    Jennifer Reynolds

5 fun markets in London

For years, my dad and I have been taking two-day trips to London. It’s become a sort of a tradition and [...]