Via Real Russia — The Ultimate Train Challenge does the Trans-Manchurian

we take the yellow route into China this time we take the yellow route into China this time

There are so many reasons that I am excited about the upcoming Ultimate Train Challenge — and by upcoming, it is now officially only 20 days away!

First on my reasons for excitement are the three other fabulous travel bloggers that I get to work with on this whole effort, Anil of Fox Nomad, Jeannie of Nomadic Chick and Nora of the Professional Hobo. They have really been stalwarts in helping organize this whole effort, which frankly was a lot more work than I ever would have anticipated when I came up with this idea as a bit of a lark.

real russian trans-mongolian train services logo

Secondly is the chance to work with some great sponsors that have signed up to help up along the way. Real Russia U.K. is one of our amazing sponsors — they are going to be the folks that get us from Moscow to Bejing on the Trans-Manchurian railroad.

Trans-Manchurian — slightly new route for me.

I have done the Trans-Mongolian before, during my big RTW trip without leaving the ground, but I am so much more excited about this trip. Last time, I booked my own ticket in Moscow and got onto a train that was basically empty. While the Trans-Mongolian is a very interesting, and classic, train route, it is going to be a whole lot more interesting when I get to spend 5-6 days with Nora, Jeannie and Anil.

And this time, I get the added bonus of rolling through Manchuria, which will be all new scenery for me to experience.

But back to our amazing sponsor for a minute. Here is what you need to know about Real Russa — they are the best company out there to help plan your Russian/Mongolian/Chinese train adventure. Frankly, dealing with Russia is a complete pain in the ass (it is going to be shocking to those soccer/football fans that want to do to the World Cup there in 2018) and trying to do it on your own is not advisable.

Trans-Siberian railroad map, russian train route map

Real Russia provides visa assistance, bookings for hotels and hostels, obviously train bookings, and even advice on how to get married in Russia.

See how I did that?  Now my mother is even going to click over to their website.

They have been a complete joy to work with. It is nice to have a chance to work with the best people in any field and the Real Russia team is exactly that.

Rumor has it that we are going to meet some of their Moscow staff and head out for dinner and drinks when we all arrive there on the 16th of September. Fair warning now…. no vodka shots for me.

A little note here about something that is really important to me and the other bloggers on this trip. We have partnered up with a great charity in Vietnam and are trying to raise $10,000 for them as part of our challenge. Here is the link you can click through and read about it on the Train Challenge website. Please take fiveminutes, go read about them, and if you are financially able, please make a contribution in our names.

We will be going to see the kids that are going to be on the receiving end of these funds at the end of our trip in Vietnam. It would be great to be able to deliver a big check to help them out.  Thanks.

_____________________________

Real Russia is a specialist travel agency for independent, tourist and business travellers, offering expertise and knowledge on travel services in Russia, such as the visa application process, train travel, accommodation and tours. Based in London, Real Russia has their own offices in Moscow and Volgograd; this enables provision of a reliable and flexible service to all clients, no matter where they are on their journey. As train enthusiasts, and as one of the largest providers of Russian train travel and Trans-Siberian and Trans-Mongolian tours, Real Russia saw the Ultimate Train Challenge as an important event to be involved in; and provided the bloggers’ tickets from Moscow to Beijing, as well as offering visa support documentation and advice throughout the whole application and booking process.

27 Responses to “Via Real Russia — The Ultimate Train Challenge does the Trans-Manchurian” Subscribe

1. Audrey August 11, 2011 at 6:48 am #

This sounds like such an incredible adventure and you’ve got a great team put together! I will definitely be following you guys :D

• Michael Hodson August 13, 2011 at 12:55 am #

I am completely excited. I get almost irrationally happy thinking about train rides.

2. Fran August 11, 2011 at 9:11 am #

Hey there – I tried to donate, and it said the vendor isn’t accepting money at this time. ?

• Michael Hodson August 13, 2011 at 12:55 am #

Thanks for telling us. We are checking on it right now.

3. Travel Titbits August 11, 2011 at 11:52 pm #

What an amazing journey! Look forward to following your updates.

• Michael Hodson August 13, 2011 at 12:56 am #

Thanks for finding us. Totally looking forward to people’s input before, during and after.

4. Matt August 12, 2011 at 6:53 pm #

I love traveling by train. I did it all over Europe back in the early 90′s and thought that we should develop a rail system in the US. This sounds like an incredible adventure. I look forward to hearing about it. Are the trains in Russia pretty nice?

• Michael Hodson August 13, 2011 at 12:58 am #

I wish the US had a more extensive train system set up. One of the faults of our country, for sure. And I am jealous of your train rides in the early 90s. Wish I had been doing that, back then.

5. Alex Berger August 13, 2011 at 3:03 am #

I’m hoping to do this next summer with some friends. Great information and they’ll definitely be getting our support.

• Michael Hodson August 14, 2011 at 8:41 am #

Hoping to make this an annual event. Would absolutely love to have you in 2012.

6. Don Faust August 13, 2011 at 11:51 am #

Good luck Michael! I will following along on your progress.

• Michael Hodson August 14, 2011 at 8:41 am #

Thanks, Don. It should be an adventure. No travel goes according to plan for me… so lots of excitement coming up for sure.

7. Maria August 13, 2011 at 3:13 pm #

Love that your posts are informative and peppered with humor. “See how I did that? Now my mother is even going to click over to their website.” I’m still gigglin’ over that one.

• Michael Hodson August 14, 2011 at 8:42 am #

Given your profile picture…. bet my mother has also clicked through to your website now. As she thinks to herself: “hmmm, well, she’s a traveler also…”

8. Andrea August 13, 2011 at 3:41 pm #

I’m getting really excited for you guys – this is going to be one epic journey!

• Michael Hodson August 14, 2011 at 8:43 am #

I will start getting excited when I get my passport back, with the visas I need ;)

9. The Travel Chica August 13, 2011 at 6:32 pm #

I have heard similar things about Russia. Better to just let the professionals handle it on this one.

• Michael Hodson August 14, 2011 at 8:46 am #

Not extraordinarily happy with the company doing my visas right now. Might not get much of a positive review her in a few weeks.

10. Cam @ Traveling Canucks August 13, 2011 at 9:12 pm #

Shaping up to be an epic adventure!
    So, where do you shower? Train stations?

• Michael Hodson August 14, 2011 at 8:44 am #

That will be something ripe for writing about… so to speak.

11. Abby August 14, 2011 at 9:45 am #

Have always admired the entrepreneurial brain that comes up with so many out-of-the-box ideas “on a lark.” Such an exciting project!!!

12. Raymond @ Man On The Lam August 15, 2011 at 3:04 am #

Very jealous that you are travelling through Russia! I took Russian for a year in university, but have never been…

You guys will have a blast!

13. Theodora August 18, 2011 at 9:11 pm #

A bunch of us are now seriously discussing doing the Trans-Manchurian with, umm, a whole buncha kids. Good to hear your take on it…
    Theodora recently posted..Welcome to Singapore!

14. Nomadic Samuel August 21, 2011 at 12:58 pm #

It’s shaping up to be an epic journey – best wishes!

15. Dave and Deb September 4, 2011 at 5:19 am #

Bummer, we leave Ulaanbaatar on Sept. 14th, just missed you! Have a great trip.

16. Keith September 7, 2011 at 10:19 am #

Sounds like it’s going to be an epic trip! Travel safe. Will definitely be following your progress.

Cheers,
    Keith

17. Marianne Pacheco December 5, 2011 at 10:08 am #

I have heard similar things about Russia. Totally looking forward to people’s input before, during and after. I took Russian for a year in university, but have never been…You guys will have a blast! Very jealous that you are travelling through Russia!
    Marianne Pacheco recently posted..Arthritis Tips

Yonderbound, the new way to book travel

This month, I sat down and met with the folks behind a new travel start-up, Yonderbound, and quickly came to the conclusion [...]