Damascus Souk (Al-Hamidiyah Souq) in Photographs, The Spices

ok, enough of this... you get the point ok, enough of this... you get the point
and now back to our regularly scheduled programming and now back to our regularly scheduled programming
we interrupt the spices to bring you.... potato chips we interrupt the spices to bring you.... potato chips
even the non-colorful spices look cool even the non-colorful spices look cool
cannot get enough of the spice shots here cannot get enough of the spice shots here
dried fruits for sale in the Damascus Souk dried fruits for sale in the Damascus Souk
more spices and smell-good stuff more spices and smell-good stuff
freshly squeezed orange juice, with a huge smile freshly squeezed orange juice, with a huge smile
candies, anyone?? candies, anyone??
all kinds of food stuffs for sale --- here, various nuts all kinds of food stuffs for sale --- here, various nuts
wishing this was Smell 'O Vision.... wishing this was Smell 'O Vision....
Main Street of the Damascus Souk Main Street of the Damascus Souk

Quick preface: I am currently in Europe on the crazy Ultimate Train Challenge, but scheduled up a few non-train posts before I left on it, in case I was short of internet. So enjoy this post and others, but…. come over to the train challenge site also and root us all on in our quest to get from Lisbon to Saigon in 30 days!

The Damascus souk, also know as Al-Hamidiyah Souq, just inside the walled city is massive. Until you spend three or four hours walking around, you have no idea really how massive it is.

spices from damascus souk market

wishing this was Smell 'O Vision....

The Damascus souk stretches over what seems like miles and miles of streets and alleyways in the walled city. Normally tourists only get to see a small bit of it when they enter through one of the main gates, walk down the main, wide street towards Umayyad Mosque, and perhaps down the other main street of the souk that passes by the gold and spice merchants.

But if you wander around the tiny side alleyways and streets of the Damascus souk, you then start to understand not only its size, but also how many things are actually for sale inside. Here is the link to some of my short videos from walking around at night.

I took hundreds of pictures when I was there, so I’ve divided them out into two photo journal posts. This one consists of the spice and food shots I took, the other one is going to be of the rest. Enjoy and if you like it, I’d love if you shared it around on Facebook or Twitter or Google+ or any of the other little buttons I have strewn around here. Thanks.

nuts at the damascus souk market

all kinds of food stuffs for sale --- here, various nuts

candies for sale, damascus souk market

candies, anyone??

orange juice seller in damascus souk market

freshly squeezed orange juice, with a huge smile

spices in damascus souk market syria

more spices and smell-good stuff

dried fruits at damascus souk market in syria

dried fruits for sale in the Damascus Souk

spices in damascus souk in syria

cannot get enough of the spice shots here

non-colorful spices in damascus souk market

even the non-colorful spices look cool

potato chips in large bags at damascus souk

we interrupt the spices to bring you.... potato chips

colorful spices in souk in damascus

and now back to our regularly scheduled programming

stand up spice bags in damascus souk

ok, enough of this... you get the point

x

17 Responses to “Damascus Souk (Al-Hamidiyah Souq) in Photographs, The Spices” Subscribe

1. Dyanne@TravelnLass September 5, 2011 at 9:48 am #

Ah yes, spices (and orange juice) – undoubtedly THE most photographed subjects in all of the Middle East (the World?) ;)

And yes, I too am presently queuing up a gaggle of advance posts to entertain the TravelnLass troops when I necessarily enter seclusion upon starting the month-long CELTA course in Saigon.
    Dyanne@TravelnLass recently posted..Have you Hugged Your QR Today?

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:05 pm #

When are you going to be in Saigon? We’ll all be there in October after the train challenge.

2. Jade Johnston September 6, 2011 at 12:16 am #

yuummmyyyy I’m hungry now…. luckily tonight we are having curry!

Jade Johnston – http://www.ouroyster.com/home
    Jade Johnston recently posted..Best and Worst of the UK

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

I haven’t had a good curry in ages… miss that

3. Ayngelina September 6, 2011 at 8:10 am #

I can never get enough of it, I love spice markets.
    Ayngelina recently posted..Home sweet home

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:18 pm #

Same here — photo heaven

4. ehalvey September 6, 2011 at 8:12 am #

I’ll take 16 ginormous bags of potato chips, please!
    ehalvey recently posted..Saturday Snapshot-Guinness Art in Dublin, Ireland

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

Isn’t that crazy? Just huge open bags of chips.

5. Kathy Mendes September 6, 2011 at 8:21 am #

I love the spice pictures! Markets are great photo places. I was in the market in Ubud, Bali recently looking for a blue weaving. Even though the place is a crazy maze with lots of tourists wandering around buying things by the time I’d been there for two minutes all the vendors knew I was looking for a blue weaving. I would turn a corner and they would call to me “blue”, “blue”.

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm #

It is moments like that where travel really all comes together in my eyes. Creating the memory you will have forever.

6. The Travel Chica September 6, 2011 at 11:21 am #

Love these photos! I wish I actually knew how to use more than 3 spices when I cook.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..First Week in Ohio

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:20 pm #

I thought you were a great cook?! That’s the word on the street.

7. Abi September 6, 2011 at 1:39 pm #

I saw my first spice market in Morocco – and fell in love there and then. This post just fuels the passion – cheers!
    Abi recently posted..Unusual Paris – Ghosts & Ghettos

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

Ahhhh, I need to get to Morocco. That is high on my list of countries to visit soon. Such great colors.

8. Federico September 7, 2011 at 10:05 am #

Man, those sure are a lot of spices! What I find interesting is that it actually even smells good despite many of them being strong.

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:21 pm #

I wish my posts sometimes were smell-o-vision. This being one of those times.

9. hogga September 10, 2011 at 1:45 pm #

Teach me how to cook with these spices!
    hogga recently posted..The L’s Are For

Top 5 things to do on Hvar Island in Croatia

Hvar is a Croatian island located 29 miles south of the coastal city of Split, Croatia. Hvar is known for [...]