there is NO way I would post this, if I didn't need to for the competition. (1) what is up with my 2nd chin and (2) frack, I didn't even lean down to show the funny logo on the hat! there is NO way I would post this, if I didn't need to for the competition. (1) what is up with my 2nd chin and (2) frack, I didn't even lean down to show the funny logo on the hat!
she wasn't happy I asked her to be in a photo with her hat, but smiled anyway she wasn't happy I asked her to be in a photo with her hat, but smiled anyway
did someone see a pink elephant around here? did someone see a pink elephant around here?
on the way to the game, in the subway with Belgium fans on the way to the game, in the subway with Belgium fans
the beard is the winner, in my eyes the beard is the winner, in my eyes
loving the spirit of the fans loving the spirit of the fans
yes, I am holding the torch also... yes, I am holding the torch also...
yes, the guy in the background is wearing a full Captain America outfit yes, the guy in the background is wearing a full Captain America outfit
coppers... lots and lots of coppers coppers... lots and lots of coppers

USA Belgium soccer game, american fans

There are two parts of the Ultimate Train Challenge and although all three of us, me, Nora and Jeannie, aren’t being ultra competitive about any of this… I do know we all want some form of bragging rights at the end of it all.

Given that we have a different approach on the number of days we all want to spend on trains, I think I might just eek out a victory on the miles traveled part of the competition, but the scavenger hunt… THAT is where the creative juices really get flowing.

Nora has already had a huge, huge scavenger hunt win — a photo with a bride. Jeannie has also been working hard on the scavenger hunt. On the other hand, I have been totally slacking on that part of this whole endeavor.

No more.

Last night, I went to my first soccer game. It was a friendly game between the US National Team and the Belgium national team. When Pete, of Hecktic Travels, ordered the tickets on the website, it said we had to sit in the US section if we were going to root for the USA, at risk of getting thrown out if we disobeyed.

That was fine with me and the major bonus in the American section was… unexpected scavenger hunt treasure. One of the hunt items we need is photos of us wearing funny hats. Another is a photo of us with a policeman. Guess what I ran into at the game…

So with no further ado, I say to my wonderful and talented Ultimate Train Challenge competitors, Nora and Jeannie….

TAKE THAT!!

The fight is now well and truly on. Get ready to rumble, ladies. It is a fight to the end…

Belgium police at soccer game with michael hodson

coppers... lots and lots of Belgian coppers

american fans at soccer game in belgium dressed up

yes, the guy in the background is wearing a full Captain America outfit

soccer fan dressed as statue of liberty in belgium

yes, I am holding the torch also...

soccer fans in funny hats

loving the spirit of the fans

michael hodson in uncle sam outfit

the beard is the winner, in my eyes

belgium soccer fans in funny hat

on the way to the game, in the subway with Belgium fans

michael hodson brussels soccer game pink elephant hat

did someone see a pink elephant around here?

usa belgium soccer game fans funny hats

she wasn't happy I asked her to be in a photo with her hat, but smiled anyway

belgium soccer fans in red hats

I was fortunate to get to this far on this journey through the sponsorship of Eurail.com — the best way to handle your train transportation needs in Europe if you are on a multi-train journey.

32 Responses to “America, F*%@ ‘Ya!! Hitting the Jackpot in the Ultimate Train Challenge Scavenger Hunt” Subscribe

1. Pete September 7, 2011 at 8:22 am #

So much fun (although I was secretly cheering for Belgium ;) Too bad the police wouldn’t put you in handcuffs, that would have got you some bonus points…

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:23 pm #

Heck, I was sorta cheering for Belgium also. Meant a lot more to them. Though it would be nice if the USA would ever score. Jeez.

2. Robyn September 7, 2011 at 8:25 am #

love love love the pictures. It would have been awesome if you were wearing one of the police officers hats. That’s what I was hoping for when scrolling down.

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

They were sooooo unwilling for even the photos, that I was sure I wasn’t going to ask for the hat. They did offer to cuff me though. I wasn’t sure if they meant it as a joke…

3. Nora September 7, 2011 at 9:09 am #

Okay, okay, you win the hat competition. But in the other categories….GAME ON! :-)

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

and then you go off the next day and get the great inside-the-train-engine shot!!

4. Phil September 7, 2011 at 10:58 am #

So is that a point for each hat picture? If that’s the case, you’re sitting pretty. Disappointing result, but I think klinsmann will get it together.

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:27 pm #

Ahhh, the point system. We never really decided on that. Methinks that two girls might outvote one guy in the end on the scoring system ;)

5. Barbara Weibel September 7, 2011 at 4:00 pm #

My favorite, by far is the pink elephant. Good thing you had a photo to prove that one, or we might have thought you were smoking something.

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:28 pm #

“Seeing the pink elephant”…. isn’t that massive drinking, instead of smoking? ;)

6. Don Faust September 7, 2011 at 5:07 pm #

You look so cute in that red cowboy hat.

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

Awwww, cute was the looking I was going for. Score!

7. The Travel Chica September 7, 2011 at 8:30 pm #

I am still laughing about the dude in the Captain America outfit. Do you get bonus points for so many funny hats?

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:29 pm #

Hoping for bonus points, but the Russian judges are tough on us Americans. And that dude in the outfit…. classic.

8. Jennifer September 7, 2011 at 9:13 pm #

Sweet, I love the pink elephant especially. You guys are having so much fun!

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:31 pm #

Having a blast. Simply love trains.

9. Lorna - the roamantics September 8, 2011 at 1:55 am #

omg michael LOOK AT THOSE GRINS!!!! bahahaha. game seriously effing on is what those grins say ;) well played mister. and fun while you’re at it = priceless. lol :D

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:32 pm #

I wish I was a bit more photogenic, but I’ll take the chuckles, for sure.

10. Amanda September 8, 2011 at 9:22 am #

This are some mightily funny hats you’re wearing there, sir!

I love the pink elephant hat and the Uncle Sam beard! Do get extra points for the beard?

• Michael Hodson September 8, 2011 at 2:33 pm #

I wanted to keep the beard. Hides the 2nd and 3rd chins in my photos. How the hell did I ever get those??!

11. Randy September 8, 2011 at 10:10 pm #

Awesome! Love the closing shot and caption; can’t stop chuckling over that one.

12. Adrian B. September 9, 2011 at 1:35 am #

Lovely photos! I bet you had more fun trying out all those hats than watching the game :))

13. hogga September 10, 2011 at 2:12 pm #

HAHAHA omfg. I love this. I also like silly hats. They are a big hit at parties too :)

14. Erin September 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm #

I love how your title, AMERICA, F*%@ ‘YA!!, puts that song in my head while I’m browsing the photos LOL :)

15. Cailin September 11, 2011 at 9:51 pm #

I think the pink elephant was the best hahaha Also I think you might have a new thing here this could go “viral” a lot of the people that you are standing next to in the photos totally don’t look like they would be wearing those hats and you just look like the crazy hat guy! it’s kinda funny, I like it :)

16. jade September 14, 2011 at 4:14 pm #

Love all the hats but seeing you in that elephant hat takes the cake! Too funny!

17. Alex Berger September 17, 2011 at 8:11 am #

Fantastic! Well done!

• Michael Hodson September 24, 2011 at 4:29 am #

(bowing respectfully)

18. Merav @ AllWays NZ Car Rental September 21, 2011 at 6:30 pm #

Oh, the pink elephant! if you managed two challenges at one hit do you get extra points for that?

• Michael Hodson September 24, 2011 at 3:22 am #

I should get bonus points, because it is the only way I will ever compete with these two women on this quest… they are vicious!

19. Charmaine Johnston December 8, 2011 at 12:06 am #

They did offer to cuff me though. Too funny! I love this. and fun while you’re at it = priceless.

20. Alba Shepherd February 17, 2012 at 6:16 pm #

They were sooooo unwilling for even the photos, that I was sure I wasn’t going to ask for the hat. Heck, I was sorta cheering for Belgium also.

Traveler beware: travel hacking problems

The Royal Residenz in Wurzburg, Germany.

Travel hacking is an easy way to earn loyalty rewards that can be redeemed for free or significantly reduced-cost travel. […]