Angkor Wat: A Photographic Taster

bayon temple cambodia
I have been spending a bit of time in Siem Reap, Cambodia, working on some new photography skills with an excellent photographer and friend, Holger of Vel el Mundo (I see the world). I am learning a ton from him.

Get ready for time lapse movies coming soon from Angkor Wat, and then many more places. Good ones, I hope.

In the meantime, here are a few photos from the shooting so far.

angkor wat sunrise over temple

faces of bayon temple
bayon temple faces

pre sunrise angkor wat temple cambodia

And a couple of my earlier efforts there, which still don’t look too bad, in my opinion: Bayon Faces and Monks as Tourists.

Tags: , ,

45 Responses to “Angkor Wat: A Photographic Taster” Subscribe

1. The Travel Chica October 24, 2011 at 9:52 am #

Not too shabby. Even the sky cooperated on your photo days.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..A Foreigner’s Perspective on Argentina Elections

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:07 am #

I was there for enough time to luckily be able to wait out some of the bad skies. Was really great to shoot with a pro photographer friend.

2. Gary Arndt October 24, 2011 at 11:34 am #

Angkor is one of the best places in the world to photograph. It is hard to take a bad image there.
    Gary Arndt recently posted..Kunggava Bay, Rennell Island in the Solomon Islands

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:08 am #

Very true, Gary. Pretty much everywhere you turn, you can snap a good photo. I hope that my time lapse stuff worked out. We’ll know here in a few days when I get down to editing.

3. Simon October 24, 2011 at 1:21 pm #

Awesome photos, Michael.

Taking a photography course is something I’d love to do. Just have to find one not costing a fortune…
    Simon recently posted..A Pink VW Beetle… A Wave of Joy

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:10 am #

I think one of the best ways to learn is to do what I did this particular week — find one of our expert photography blogging friends to shoot and edit with you. Was an invaluable week for me.

4. Amanda October 24, 2011 at 1:38 pm #

That last photo? Wow. So stunning!
    Amanda recently posted..Photo of the Day: Lake Hawea

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:11 am #

Awww, thanks. That will be part of the time lapse sequence I am going to try to put together this week.

5. Jeremy October 24, 2011 at 2:16 pm #

I’m planning to go here in April, looks amazing!

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:12 am #

You will have a great time. I think that is the low water season, so you might not get some of the great reflection shots, but you will take hundreds of good ones nonetheless.

6. Elizabeth October 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

I loved AngKor Wat when I was there this summer. These pictures are amazing. I really like the ones of the Banyon faces – its pretty hard to capture the carving in real life.
    Elizabeth recently posted..My Day of No

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:13 am #

I tried a variety of different things on those faces, which I love, but never really got the effect I was looking for. Will be back next month to try again.

7. Rachel October 24, 2011 at 3:46 pm #

These are stunning! Can’t wait to see more.
    Rachel recently posted..Istanbul’s Mystery – The Basilica Cistern

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:14 am #

I think the next thing I will be doing is some video. Hopefully soon.

8. lara dunston October 24, 2011 at 6:40 pm #

You’re in one of my favourite parts of the world! Love that place! Not a fan of the HD look to be honest, and increasingly seeing HD images of Angkor, but these are truly beautiful. Great stuff!

If you’ve got a bit of time on your hands, please contact Janet Chan, PR/Marketing director at Hotel de la Paix – tell her I suggested you get in touch. The people there are really suffering from the flooding (although not getting as much media coverage as Thailand) and they’re working hard at the moment to do a lot to get donations to help 6000 families affected around Siem Reap. They assisted 1400 families so far by gathering and delivering food packages. They’re going out again next Sunday so may need a hand or just help on social media. I’ll be putting up a post today and will ping you.

Enjoy your photography lessons – and Siem Reap!

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:16 am #

For some reason, I didn’t see this until after I left, but I will try to check them out when I return next time. Thanks.

9. Casey October 24, 2011 at 9:34 pm #

Beautiful shots! We’re planning a trip to Angkor as soon as we can save up a little bit, although I doubt we’ll end up with photos so stunning!
    Casey recently posted..Day 57: Our Favorite Restaurant

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:16 am #

Well, like Gary said, it is a pretty easy place to take good photos, so I bet you take some great ones!

10. Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad October 25, 2011 at 1:06 am #

Stunning photos mate! I still haven’t gone through my photos from Angkor (too many of them), but now I am worried that they aren’t nowhere near as good as yours!
    Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad recently posted..Stupid or Lucky, Making It Through the Bolaven Plateau on a Motorbike

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:17 am #

I worry that I didn’t copy all of mine to a safe place and might lose them before I go through the thousands that I have! Damn. Thousands. Lots of work to do.

11. Candice October 25, 2011 at 7:48 am #

These are awesome Michael!! Dude got skillz.
    Candice recently posted..How to Explore the Tablelands of Gros Morne National Park

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:17 am #

Awww, thanks. I think I am slowly getting better. We’ll see.

12. Baron's October 25, 2011 at 8:38 pm #

Superlicious photos
    Baron’s recently posted..Mechanics like to deal with women

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:18 am #

Thanks, Baron! I will keep trying till I get a few right.

13. Devon October 26, 2011 at 7:18 am #

These are beautiful photographs, nice work! Travel photography is so great, it really gets you to see what you are looking at, and think about how you want to show that little part of the world to others. I would love to improve my skills, as well – practice makes perfect, I suppose. Lucky you to have a great teacher!
    Devon recently posted..Things Not To Do In The Middle of a Riot: Go For Indian Food In A Bad Part Of Town

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:19 am #

Learned a ton from Holger here, for sure. And you are right — practice is what everyone needs to improve for sure.

14. Adrian B. October 26, 2011 at 7:57 am #

Awesome photos, Michael!
    I think it’s about time I take a photography course for myself :)
    Adrian B. recently posted..Croatian Burek and Palatschinke Recipes

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:23 am #

Thank you so much, Adrian. There are some great free resources out there to check out also.

15. nicole October 26, 2011 at 10:08 am #

Nice work of photograph!All this photo is really great I love taking picture also..This is perfect I want to see more photo..
    nicole recently posted..flat rate movers reviews

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:24 am #

I will try to accomodate your wishes!

16. FelipeG October 28, 2011 at 2:04 pm #

Beautiful pictures… I love to see these structures in person. Thank you for sharing this.
    FelipeG recently posted..dog training

17. Alouise October 29, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

Beautiful photos. I love the last one, the color and reflection in the water is fantastic.
    Alouise recently posted..Spooky Tourism – Jack The Ripper Walk in London

18. crazy sexy fun traveler October 30, 2011 at 6:30 am #

Stunning pics, especially those with the sun ;) Angkor Wat is a great place :)

19. Lily November 1, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Love your first photo (I think that’s the Bayon?) and the second one with the sun star. Glad you guys had so much fun shooting, Holger is a great photographer, I learned a lot from being around him too.

Looking forward to seeing your timelapses!

– Lily
    Lily recently posted..Extended Travel for Couples: Interview with Jack and Jill Travel

• Michael Hodson November 2, 2011 at 4:25 am #

You have ID’d you locations well. And yes, Holger is great fun to shoot with.

20. Iain Mallory November 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm #

Very impressive images indeed
    Iain Mallory recently posted..Hot Air Ballooning – Daydreaming in Catalonia

21. David @ MalaysiaAsia November 7, 2011 at 2:48 pm #

Hi Mike, I now see what you mean when you told me today about camping out there with your photographer friend and the results are absolutely lovely. Well, the last time I visited Angkor was back in 2006 when dslr’s costs an arm and leg. Seeing the pics now makes me wanna go back there for another round of shooting.

Nice to have met you and see ya soon! Oh yeah, Gary kind of nailed it when he said it’s hard not to take a good picture there… except when the bus loads of tourist come in… hehe.
    David @ MalaysiaAsia recently posted..Panda Bears Video in Shanghai, China

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm #

You definitely need to head back up there. I think during or after the rainy season might be the best time. The ponds are full and the reflections are great. And the skies have those fabulous clouds overhead. Enjoy — I can’t wait to see your pics.

22. Juno November 10, 2011 at 9:00 am #

Very cool!!!
    Juno recently posted..Small Things that Make Your Hiking Trip Better

23. Anne McKinnell November 16, 2011 at 8:34 am #

You did a very nice job on the photography here Michael!
    Anne McKinnell recently posted..Palmetto

24. Dan Thompson December 23, 2011 at 2:11 pm #

Some nice shots here Michael. I’m dying to make it over there, I just love the images I see from there, inspiring place it would seem (minus all us tourists LOL). Can’t wait to see your timelapse videos.

BTW, are some of these HDR?

Cheers!
    Dan
    Dan Thompson recently posted..POTW: Remote Area Medical

25. Brad Ruoho February 15, 2012 at 3:21 pm #

CAmbodia is an incredible place, I was there last April at Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom in Siem Reap and long to go back. You took some amazing photos that brought back some great memories.

26. Lawrence Michaels July 8, 2012 at 12:41 am #

Very nice photos, I really like the detail you captured in the faces. Angkor Wat is one of my favorite temples ever.
    Lawrence Michaels recently posted..Top Ten Phuket Beaches

• Michael Hodson July 25, 2012 at 3:18 am #

Thanks Lawrence. It is one of my favorite places to photograph in the world.

Best travel videos around, volume 1

Best travel videos around

Over the past year or so, I’ve become really interested in videography. Videos can tell stories and evoke emotions that [...]