Cabo Polonio, Uruguay Photo Essay

one of the local artist's homes one of the local artist's homes
just a view down the beach just a view down the beach
the beaches are not just for people anymore the beaches are not just for people anymore
one of the local houses, likely for rent one of the local houses, likely for rent
when this is when this is "Main Street," you get the point of a place...
a nice stroll on the beach a nice stroll on the beach
television on beach at cabo polonio uruguay

in a town with no electricity, this is the TV room

Recently I was contacted by some folks wanting copies of some of my old photos from a number of locations. Hopefully they end up liking some of them and using them. It did make me go back and re-edit some of my pictures from my RTW trip in 2009-10 though, which was good.

This little town was one of my favorites and if I was at a point in life where I could easily manage a few weeks without the internet (yes, you can make jokes, but I do actually need it for income now, in addition to my daily news, sports and Facebook addiction fixes), then this would likely be a place I could live for a bit.

Why no internet? No electricity.

Cabo Polonio doesn’t have any power lines running to it. In fact, it doesn’t have any roads running to it either, you need to get there via a shuttle truck that picks you up from the highway and takes you the few miles to town. Some places in town do have generators, so you can get cold drinks and refrigerated products.

But this is a beach location for when you are ready to unplug, even more so than this little town I found in Tobago. This is my previous, longer post on Cabo Polonio, with my previously edited photos… I think I’ve gotten better with these tools.

woman walking on beach cabo polonio uruguay

a nice stroll on the beach

cabo polonio main street

when this is "Main Street," you get the point of a place...

red rental house cabo polonio uruguay

one of the local houses, likely for rent

cow on cabo polonio beach

the beaches are not just for people anymore

cabo polonio uruguay beach view of town

just a view down the beach

red yellow black painted house cabo polonio uruguay beach town

one of the local artist's homes

x

Tags: , , ,

37 Responses to “Cabo Polonio, Uruguay Photo Essay” Subscribe

1. Baron's November 12, 2011 at 4:18 pm #

I like that main street shot…your photos are out of this world….wish I could do the same
    Baron’s recently posted..Mechanics like to deal with women

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm #

thanks, Baron. Working with other, much better, photographers has really helped me. Hoping to keep improving, as I am sure you are also!

2. Ayngelina November 13, 2011 at 4:41 am #

I love the idea but I don’t know if I could be disconnected from electricity for so long.

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:08 pm #

Yea, it would be really tough to get work done, but I think I could manage a week or so. Would be good therapy.

3. Ayngelina November 13, 2011 at 4:42 am #

4. Christy November 13, 2011 at 4:59 am #

That first photo is both funny and well-framed! Are these shots HDR? They’re absolutely lovely, and the colors really pop.
    Christy recently posted..Prague Castle’s “Changing of the Guard”

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:10 pm #

No HDR on these shots. The first one was right outside my hostel. Loved that place.

5. MaryAnn November 13, 2011 at 12:23 pm #

Hope you don’t mind, but I borrowed the photo of the little Red House and the cow on the beach to send to my family stating it was my new home. They are certain that is exactly how I will be living when I leave the USA. I love it. I love tormenting them. Are all Americans that arrogant or is it just my family?

Actually, except for serious Internet withdrawal, giving up electricity would require one to get off their butts and actually live life. Speaking for myself included. How easy is it to come home, turn on the AC and the TV and plant yourself on the sofa?

I envy you your travels and fabulous experiences that you should put in a book some day.

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

of course that is ok – no worries. Glad you like the photos and thanks for the email update.

6. Amanda November 13, 2011 at 1:46 pm #

I love these shots! The first one and the one of the rust-colored house are my favorites, I think. Isn’t it great to go back through old photos and discover that they’re actually pretty great?
    Amanda recently posted..Photo of the Day: Bondi Beach

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:18 pm #

I wish my old photos were so much better… but good editing now helps ;)

7. Andrea November 13, 2011 at 2:00 pm #

Looks like an awesome place to get away from it all! I love Uruguay – one of my long-shot dreams is to build a ranch there one day.

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

if you build it… I will come :)

8. The Travel Chica November 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm #

The cow on the beach is the best! I only saw Colonia (for a border run from Buenos Aires), and i was not impressed. But this looks like a place I might actually enjoy to get away from it all for a while and wean myself from my internet addiction.
    The Travel Chica recently posted..Foto of the Week from …. Buenos Aires

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Yea, I love that cow photo also. Just so odd. I think you’d like some parts of Uruguay, if you hop over and give it a chance.

9. dtravelsround November 13, 2011 at 4:43 pm #

I agree with Stephanie, the cow photo is awesome. I also want to live in that little red house. So cute!
    dtravelsround recently posted..A brief education: the dark side of the elephant tourism industry

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:21 pm #

I wish I would have walked up to some of those houses and knocked on the door and offered a beer or two to look around. Next time.

10. Camels & Chocolate November 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm #

Those sand dunes at the top compel me to want to do a face plant. So soft looking! Sadly, I’ve spent very little time in South America, only visiting Brazil. Would love to see Uruguay, too.
    Camels & Chocolate recently posted..Good Morning, Vietnam

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:22 pm #

Funny you say that… I did a drunken face plant one dark night (no lights, remember) into one of them. They were… not soft.

11. Debbie @ European Travelista November 13, 2011 at 7:40 pm #

Great shots but I especially enjoyed the cow on the beach! I’ve seen a lot of things on a beach but never a cow.
    Debbie @ European Travelista recently posted..Armored Schloss Ambras

12. Erica November 13, 2011 at 9:19 pm #

These are really REALLY good… like.. WOW.
    Erica recently posted..Photo Friday: HDR – Manzanillo, Costa Rica

• Michael Hodson November 13, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

Awwww, that means a lot coming from you, as great as your photos are!

13. Pete November 14, 2011 at 10:45 am #

Great shots sir. The bull on the beach is my favorite, perfect composition. You are becoming quite a master yourself :)
    Pete recently posted..What Was, What Is

14. Kirsten November 14, 2011 at 9:24 pm #

In my present state of mind, this looks and sounds like heaven. Thanks for sharing!
    Kirsten recently posted..London on Remembrance Day

• Michael Hodson November 15, 2011 at 8:40 am #

it is a pretty damn lovely spot, to be sure!

15. Nomadic Samuel November 15, 2011 at 9:05 am #

This must have been fun to go back and dust off a few prints to enhance them – I’m impressed!
    Nomadic Samuel recently posted..Faces of Asia | Part 6 | Travel Video

16. 50+ and on the Run November 15, 2011 at 9:20 pm #

Great pix, thanks! I will move into the little red house RIGHT NOW!
    50+ and on the Run recently posted..Rock ‘n Roll is Here to Stay

17. Joshywashington November 20, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

Yeah, that looks like the type of place I could spend a few days in (or a few months!). Great photos as always!
    Joshywashington recently posted..Seattle Sunset 11-19-2011

18. Rease November 21, 2011 at 11:04 am #

Wow this looks gorgeous! However I cannot pretend like I would love it here, I am not a super relaxed person. 2 days of this and I would be ready for a city.
    Rease recently posted..How NOT to Smuggle Cuban Cigars into the United States

19. MaryAnn November 21, 2011 at 9:27 pm #

The photo of the TV on the beach is my new screensaver. I told my neighbor (who is very naive) that there is a gas generator that is only available on Saturday night so the whole neighborhood gathers around that TV to watch reruns of I Love Lucy and Gunsmoke. She believed me! I am wicked bad.

20. Ryan December 1, 2011 at 7:04 am #

Those photos definitely made up my mind on where I am going this summer in Uruguay. Wow!

21. FalleSv April 4, 2013 at 12:05 pm #

Just spent three days in Cabo Polonio (a luxary version, stayed in a house by the light house having electricity from the grid, running water, barbacoa indoors, …) and I love this place. Will for sure return next time in Uruguay.
    Took tons of bracketed pictures with the intent to make HDR out of them.

Testing my relationship with gravity at Angel Fire Bike Park

If there’s ever a place to test your relationship with gravity, it’s here — Northern New Mexico, land of high [...]