Seville in Photos

A few weeks ago, I wandered around southern Spain and also Madrid for the first time. Spain is a country that is fast growing in my heart, from Costa Brava in the north to Pamplona, which I finally got to see on this trip.

I had finally gotten my first housesitting gig down near the coast, so I went on down and hung out and worked for about a week while the homeowners went back to the U.K. to do some work there.

The town that I stayed in was down near Marbella but slightly inland. It is called Benahavis and it seems to be almost entirely made of British expats, which I don’t mean as a negative thing in the least. One huge benefit was that in this little town of under a thousand people, there must have been at least 30 good places to eat. I’d go back in a heartbeat.

After Benahavis, I bused on up to Seville for the first time. Its a wonderfully beautiful city, which I hope to be able to express a bit in some of these photos.

seville horse drawn carriage

Relaxing in the shade

church entrance in seville spain

I loved the texture on this church entrance

I was fortunate on my Seville and Madrid jaunt to be sponsored by the apartment rental company, Wimdu. In Madrid I got to stay at a wonderful apartment for a couple of days. Wimdu were wonderful to work with and now that i have a few of these apartment stays, I think I am going to write up a post in the near future about why you should consider using one of these services in the future.

The long and the short of my Wimdu stays were fabulous. The apartments were the perfect size for me. The owner of the one in Seville tried to explain the best things to do in the area, her with so-so English and me with very poor Spanish. It was quite cute. Plus, she had a bottle of wine in the fridge she had bought for me earlier that day.

That’s the kind of place I want to stay.

Bottom line is that I’ve become a big fan. Having an entire apartment for your own is just a perfect way for many of you travel, I think.

seville carriage with horses

Every once in a while, I need to take a photo into watercolor world.

But in the meantime, I hope you enjoy these photos, which offer just a glimpse of Seville. I really needed to get out and about and see more of this city, but all summer I have been working on the new website for the Ultimate Train Challenge, Your World No Rules.

I need to get off this computer and get back out more with my camera!

seville castle

Down on the riverfront

seville bullfight poster

I saw this poster, but thought bullfighting was illegal in this part of Spain

seville spain street corner

Just enjoyed the look of these buildings

seville spain graffiti

I love good graffiti

seville church entrance

more texture

close up church door seville spain

And I’m a sucker for doors

20 Responses to “Seville in Photos” Subscribe

1. cosmoHalliton August 5, 2012 at 8:52 am #

I’ve just discovered your blog and think it’s great! I loved this post with the beautiful photos of Spain. I spent some time there a few years ago and fell in love with the place. That picture of the watchtower in Seville brought back some very fond memories. Thanks!
    cosmoHalliton recently posted..Mercato Italian Restaurant

2. Simon August 5, 2012 at 12:02 pm #

Lovely photos, Michael. I’ve been to Seville many many years ago and never returned since then.

All I remember is a wonderful city, but awfully hot in August.

I guess it’s time go back, maybe in Spring or Autumn…
    Simon recently posted..Overlooking Bintan Rocks at Dusk

3. creative nomad August 6, 2012 at 4:30 am #

Seville, I found was a great city to relax in, admittedly I spent my time in a cafe ordering pina coladas cause i couldnt take my eye off the waiter! but for what I saw, it was amazing and the cathedral was by far one of the most impressive I have ever seen

4. Stephen August 6, 2012 at 6:23 am #

And was it super hot there? I thought Seville was supposed to be the hottest place in all of Europe.
    Stephen recently posted..Bohemian Travel Goes to Europe and $100 Giveaway

5. Jennifer August 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm #

Great photos! The only time I’ve spent in mainland Spain has been in airports, so I’m really excited to head there for TBEX.

We also like apartments. I actually don’t know why we don’t stay in apartments more often. We like how it allows you to live like a local in a local area.
    Jennifer recently posted..10,000 Floating Candles and Fireworks at Bled

6. Daniel McBane August 7, 2012 at 4:01 am #

I really liked Sevilla too. It’s one of those cities where pretty much every single building is worthy of a photo. I’m very happy I went there in February though. It was already quite warm then, so I can’t imagine how hot it must be in July and August.
    Daniel McBane recently posted..Five Easy Steps To Crappy Pictures

7. Jane August 8, 2012 at 3:00 pm #

I really love the photos with the stone textures. Great work!
    Jane recently posted..Sonoma

8. Pamela August 8, 2012 at 9:52 pm #

Hi Michael, lovely place! we are going to Spain in October,so I will be checking you posts and following some of your steps :)

I would also like to hear more about getting sponsored at Wimdu and what is all that about. Looking forward for that post.
    Pamela recently posted..Inside The Mind of a Blogger, Traveler and Wife

9. Born27 August 11, 2012 at 1:44 am #

I am so amazed with the facade of Seville church.. I can’t imagine how hard to build a structure like this..
    The place is definitely beautiful!
    Born27 recently posted..Conference Call Bridge

10. Amanda August 17, 2012 at 10:09 am #

Love the photos! I’ve heard such great things about Seville – Spain is way higher up on my list these days than it used to be!
    Amanda recently posted..August: The Best Time to Be in Edinburgh?

11. OutsideTheGuidebook August 21, 2012 at 3:48 am #

I nearly went to Seville in July this year (2012) whilst holidaying in Albufeira, in the south of Portugal. Your photographs are lovely Michael and have got me thinking now.. maybe I should have made that trip into Spain! Keep up the good work!
    OutsideTheGuidebook recently posted..Two Secrets: Good food and Good friends in Fethiye, Turkey

12. Rachel August 21, 2012 at 5:17 am #

I´ve only been to Seville once, yet live in Andalucia! I fell in love with it. Not really a city girl it definately changed the way I felt about them.

Gorgeous, friendly and such a lot of history and culture not to mention the food – I could live there!

Nice post, you´re right about apartments – I even entered Windu´s competetion 3 Things I Love and wrote about Seville. Didn´t win the chance to stay though. Shame.

Thanks for the post.

13. Sophie August 21, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Love the aquarelle photo.
    Sophie recently posted..Spas and spice in Bad Bleiberg

14. Ali August 23, 2012 at 9:28 am #

I love Sevilla, one of my favorite cities in Spain! Glad you had a good time, I’d really love to get back down there soon.
    Ali recently posted..How to Read Hotel Reviews

15. Visa Requirements for Indians August 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm #

Thanks for the great images i feel one picture is not real one.. some art stuff??

16. Shalu Sharma September 1, 2012 at 1:03 am #

Seville looks amazing. Is that you relaxing in the shade photo on the top?
    Shalu Sharma recently posted..Humayun’s Tomb

17. laura September 6, 2012 at 9:03 am #

lovely city :) check it out – my favorite city

18. Visa Hunter October 4, 2012 at 12:24 pm #

Interesting, I have been to over 50 countries but have never been to Spain. I’m definitely going to have to add this to my bucket list!
    Visa Hunter recently posted..Comment on Cambodia Visa by Information on Visa Types for Cambodia « visahunter

19. K. April 23, 2013 at 3:20 am #

Seville is definitely one of my favourite cities in the world! I was there when the weather was cool so it was absolutely pleasant to walk about. Everything amazed me, especially the architecture! It also had a very ‘chill-out’ vibe to it that was very endearing. I think I shall blog about my experience in Seville one day…

5 fun markets in London

For years, my dad and I have been taking two-day trips to London. It’s become a sort of a tradition and [...]