Walking around the hills of the capital of Lisbon, you’d be blind not to notice the hundreds upon hundreds of buildings that are encased with tiles.

It’s one of the things that makes this part of the world unique from elsewhere.

The tile work has a history that dates back to the long-history of Moorish occupation of Spain and Portugal and is an artistic reminder of the ongoing influence from North Africa that continues through southern Spain and into Portugal.
The Museu do Azulejo, the tile museum, is located in Lisbon and provides an exhaustive history of this form of architectural art. But for me, I just preferred to just wander around town and take photograph upon photograph.

tile work in lisbon portugal on buildings

Tags: , ,

7 Responses to “Snapshot view, the tiles of Lisbon” Subscribe

1. Stephen January 29, 2013 at 11:08 am #

Beautiful. I love the tiles in Portugal. In Porto they have them too, but old Porto seems to be falling apart tile by tile.

• Laura @Travelocafe February 8, 2013 at 12:51 pm #

I totally agree, Porto is falling apart. I was under shock last spring when my husband and I visited. I wasn’t expecting a city almost in ruins. Still, it’s a charming city to visit.

2. Mariella January 31, 2013 at 10:58 am #

I have heard about these tiles! One of my favorite coffee places in Berlin has a wall with tiles they got in Lisbon. Ah, Portugal… one more thing on my bucket list…
    Mariella recently posted..“Eastern Europe? Why???”

3. Paul February 4, 2013 at 5:47 am #

Great little post. Lisbon was one of the surprise highlights for me when I was last in Europe, and the tiles are beautiful.

4. Curious Nomad March 1, 2013 at 6:05 pm #

Great curation of these photos. I’d like to visit Lisbon one day.
    Curious Nomad recently posted..Afternoon in Toledo

5. Zara @ Backpack ME May 7, 2013 at 12:49 am #

Azulejos (tiles) are one of the things that make Lisbon quite visually different from the rest of Europe… there’s more to our country’s capital, of course, but I guess travelers out there need to go and find out for themselves! ;)
    Zara @ Backpack ME recently posted..Roadrunner.. The Coyote’s After You!

My home away from home — Girona and Costa Brava

I’d have to go back and actually count up the number of posts, but I think there is a fair [...]