To say that I had a good time on my trip to Finland would be a gross understatement. I’ll be writing a lot more about my trip in the coming weeks, but I wanted to post up a video that I did from the first day of the trip.

I will be doing a lot more video, now that I am getting more comfortable with shooting them and also editing. Bear with me — just like my photography, I am hoping that my skill level improves as I try new things, talk to more experts, and just get my hands dirty with effort. For now, though, I hope you enjoy this effort (and please feel free to subscribe to this YouTube channel also — that would be much appreciated)

Frankly, I wasn’t anticipating that I would do up a post or a video about the train ride I took from Helsinki up north on day one of my trip, but… this was the best train I have yet rode on. The room I stayed in was wonderful and the bathroom, and the really cool shower, was first class.

Plus, you know how much I love trains.

___________________________________

Thanks to  Visit Finland, Phyä-Luosto Tourist Board and VR – Finnish Railways from sponsoring my wonderful journey through Finland in the winter. Though this trip was sponsored, obviously all the views (and photos and video) expressed herein are my own.

11 Responses to “Finland by Rail (Video)” Subscribe

1. Charli l Wanderlusters March 11, 2013 at 2:08 pm #

What a winter wonderland!

It’s amazing how much more submerse video can be. It’s something I’ve always been so scared of. The whole editing process appears frightfully technical yet the end product looks as thought the effort is worth it.

Looking forward to more videos from you Michael!
    Charli l Wanderlusters recently posted..Costa Rica: Top 5 Natural Wonders

• Michael Hodson March 15, 2013 at 7:13 am #

Thanks Charli. I have been taking video and time lapse for well over a year, but just never pulled the trigger to start really learning how to edit. I finally just kicked myself in the butt by telling the Finland folks I WAS going to do a couple videos from them. Once committed, I had to finally do it. Glad you liked this one. Hope I improve soon.

2. Cam @ Traveling Canucks March 12, 2013 at 9:40 am #

Well done Michael! Reminds me of northern BC
    Cam @ Traveling Canucks recently posted..Renovations, Television, Chairlifts and Sea Cliffs: What’s up and where to next?

• Michael Hodson March 15, 2013 at 7:14 am #

Another place I need to visit…

3. Caroline Eubanks March 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm #

I’m super impressed with Finnish trains! I’ve never seen one so nice anywhere else in Europe.
    Caroline Eubanks recently posted..Searching for Klimt in Vienna

• Michael Hodson March 15, 2013 at 7:15 am #

Caroline, I consider myself pretty much a train veteran of almost all places in Europe and I agree… this was the nicest train I have been on yet.

4. Trav March 13, 2013 at 8:38 am #

Michael, great job for your first go at it…really impressed!

I’m also starting to add more video to my site. Wanted to ask you what equipment you used: camera, editing software, tripod, etc.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

• Michael Hodson March 15, 2013 at 7:16 am #

Hey Trav, thanks for the compliment.

Right now I am shooting everything with my Nikon D7000, but I am about to switch to an Olympus micro 4/3ds camera. My tripod is a pretty hefty one, but I forget the made and model (and didn’t actually use it in any of these clips). I edit on Final Cut Pro X.

Thanks for asking.

5. Guide to Finland Blog April 10, 2013 at 1:18 am #

The rail network is great through Finland now they have the new Bendalino`s
    I t is quick to connect to other cities in fINLAND
    tHE TRAINS ALSO RUN ON TIME WHICH IS A BIG PLUS
    Guide to Finland Blog recently posted..Shopping for Expats Food When Living Abroad

• Michael Hodson April 29, 2013 at 8:35 am #

On time is always a good thing. For sure!

How to see The Bund in Shanghai

Cina Giorno Otto - Shanghai The Bund

Shanghai’s iconic skyline has changed massively in the last 20 years, but its waterfront promenade, better known as The Bund, [...]