A one-day guide to photographing London

jon and tina reed year in london project

Jon and Tina

I not exactly sure how I stumbled across Jon and Tina Reed’s photography, but the moment I did I realized that it was a stroke of good fortune.

If I remember correctly, the first place I saw their photography might have been via their Facebook Fan page, A Year of London. Their blog is Nomadic Vison and what drew me to them was their current photography project, where they are highlighting all of the great photography in London.

As I have been spending a fair bit of time there, and have already told you that it is a not only a very comfortable place for me, but also a spot I like to photograph myself, I thought I’d ask them to do a guest post where they could give you a step-by-step guide to photographing this great city.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

__________________________________________

London is a world-class destination with something to impress even the most discerning traveller. For a photographer, it is a playground with endless photographic opportunities. I’ve just completed month two of my year’s guide to Photographing London. Despite taking a year, I’m going to try guide you through taking photos of London in just one day.

We’ll start at dawn, before sunrise when London is asleep. This is the perfect time to photograph the iconic sites without the crowds. At this time, it can be difficult to get around, so it will help you to be based in zone 1, along the river Thames. The Tower Bridge is the perfect dawn location – it is lit by floodlights, which will help it stand out against a pastel sky. Whilst photographing the bridge, turn your focus along the river towards the Shard, catching the reflections of the skyscraper in the river.

tower bridge at dawn

early morning light at Tower Bridge

Just before the sun crosses the horizon, get onto the underground and head over to Westminster Station. Rush across the Westminster Bridge to arrive opposite the Palace of Westminster just in time to capture the first rays of sun striking the palace and the world-famous clock, Big Ben.

Palace of Westminster at dawn

sun rises over Big Ben and the Palace of Westminster

Once the light gets too bright and contrasty for photography, head back to Westminster Station and take the district line to Kew Gardens. On your arrival you’ll feel like you’ve stepped out of the city and into the idyllic English village.

kew gardens in spring

Kew Gardens in the Spring

Pop into the Bread Stall to pick up breakfast and your choice of caffeine supplement. The breakfast calories will help power a speedy trip through the Royal Botanical Gardens. By now, the light will be challenging for photography, so use the shady areas to flatten the contrast.  Even a whirlwind trip through Kew Gardens will take you up to lunch.

Head back to the underground and get out at London Bridge. If you’ve picked the right day, street vendors in the Borough Food Market will be serving lunch. Whilst looking for the perfect treat, keep your camera out as the area is great for street photography. For the coffee lovers, don’t leave the area without sampling Monmouth Coffee – the queues are much shorter if you order beans to taken home.

After lunch, the light will be horrible for any photography in the daylight. This is the time to explore London’s hidden interior architecture. The Astor House at 2 Temple Place was built by a wealthy American who loved all things British. It is a beautiful example of lavish Victorian architecture and the perfect escape from the harsh daylight.

I’ve now got two options for you:

Option 1 – The East

The old shipping yards have been rejuvenated and are now referred to as the Docklands. From Temple, head to Bank Station and jump onto the DLR to Canning Town. Canning Town leads onto the Royal Victoria Docks. Here you can experience London’s only beach, complete with a wakeboarding course. The area is great for photography with a mix of converted warehouses, old shipping cranes and interesting residential sites. Take the Emirates Air Line across the Thames and photograph the O2 from the sky.

victoria docks at sunset in london

dramatic lighting at Victoria Docks

From the 02, take a bus to Greenwich town centre. From the town centre, it is a quick walk to the Greenwich Naval Colleges.  Take a few moments to appreciate the Painted Hall which is a dinner hall designed by Christopher Wren and it is full of interesting paintings by James Thornhill.

From the Painted Hall, it is a short walk up the hill to the Greenwich Observatory Point. From this point, there is an amazing view over the Baroque Naval Colleges contrasting with the modern architecture of Canary Wharf. Enjoy the sunset and watch out of the Meridian Laser, a beam of light projected from the Observatory Point.

royal observation point in greenwich

a view of the laser from the Royal Observation Point

Option 2 – The West

Take the underground line from Temple to Victoria and then take the over ground-line to Battersea Park Rail station. Battersea Park is a large park, that is worth exploring, but because you’re taking photos, head straight to the Peace Pagoda – a large Buddhist monument built on the banks of the Thames River. The contrast of the Buddhist architecture and English park makes for an interesting subject.

From the Peace Pagoda, walk along the Thames River and cross the Chelsea Bridge. The bridge is a great location to photograph the Battersea Power Station – an iconic London site – that is possibly best known for being on the cover of a Pink Floyd album.

view from oxo tower in london

sunset from Oxo Tower

After watching the sun set at the power station, get onto the underground at Sloan Square and head to Black Friars Station. From the station, it is a short walk to the Oxo Tower. Few restaurants in London have a better view. Take in London at twilight whilst enjoying a cocktail and then settle down for a meal to top the day off.

the shard in london

the Shard in the distance

The Perfect Day

From this guide you can see how much you can actually do in one day in London, provided you have the stamina and energy to get through it.  Try to pick a day when you know the sun will be out as it helps to make the day more enjoyable and leads to better photography.

Tags: , , ,

25 Responses to “A one-day guide to photographing London” Subscribe

1. Matthew Karsten March 14, 2013 at 7:45 am #

Love the color in these shots. I didn’t realize London could be so beautiful…

2. Jennifer March 14, 2013 at 9:26 am #

Absolutely gorgeous photos! The Tower Bridge is one of my very favorite bridges and your photo of it is stunning.
    Jennifer recently posted..A Wild Trabi Safari Around East Berlin

3. Jon Reid March 14, 2013 at 9:29 am #

Hi Michael, this looks great, thanks so much for posting.

@Matthew, thanks for the compliment. I have the advantage of living in London and being able to take photos when conditions are great for photography.

4. Jeremy Branham March 14, 2013 at 5:22 pm #

Great photos! I love their style and the city of London offers some great views. My favorite photo is the London Bridge one.

Photography is something I am really trying to focus on now and get better. I just did a series of photos in Yosemite and want to work on my style. These photos are very inspirational and give me some ideas for my own photographs.
    Jeremy Branham recently posted..Winter Yosemite photos Part II: El Capitan, Bridalveil Falls, and sunset

5. Frugal Monkey March 14, 2013 at 7:45 pm #

Your photos are gorgeous! We love your blog so much, we featured it on our latest Web Wrap! http://www.frugalmonkey.com/travel-news/web-wrap-15-march-2013.html. Keep up the great work!

6. Bobbi Lee Hitchon March 15, 2013 at 7:48 am #

Great guide. I love London. The city has so much to do and it’s stunning. I really like the mixture of old world with modern buildings.

7. Wozza March 15, 2013 at 11:38 am #

Good stuff!

I just wanted to point out that there’s only one naval college at Greenwich and it’s called ‘Old Royal Naval College’. Also, the observation point, at the top of the park, is the ‘Royal Observatory Greenwich’.

8. helen March 15, 2013 at 7:10 pm #

wonderful!

9. Tracy Z March 16, 2013 at 7:08 pm #

Wow their work is great!
    Tracy Z recently posted..Travel Quote of the Day

10. Audrey | That Backpacker March 17, 2013 at 5:02 am #

Sheesh, I’ve been to London 4 times now and all my shots have been so…grey. I really like the Kew Gardens shot in the springtime, and the pink sunset overlooking St. Paul’s. :)
    Audrey | That Backpacker recently posted..A Charming Tea House in Traditional Seoul

• Jon Reid March 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm #

Colour is largely dependent on the day. If you photographed London over the last 3 weeks, it would have appeared grey, but the week before was amazing.
      Jon Reid recently posted..Photographing London – The Drapers Hall

11. Ed Graham March 17, 2013 at 11:45 pm #

Beautiful, vibrant images and a great post.

12. Amanda March 18, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

Love the shots! And now I’m feeling London-sick. Must get back there soon!
    Amanda recently posted..Winter in Manitoba: A Preview

13. Veronica March 19, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

This is a great post with brilliant photos! I will be going to London soon and can’t wait to explore more with my camera, maybe take some photography classes there. Love your blog!
    Veronica recently posted..Happy Positive Thinking!

14. Chris Booth March 21, 2013 at 10:54 am #

Stunning photography and a perfect itinerary!

One minor niggle, that’s sunset over the Palace of Westminster, not sun rise unfortunately. That said, if you went to the same location at dawn you would get an even better sunlit view than the one you have picked as it rises almost behind this vantage point!

15. rebecca March 22, 2013 at 3:44 am #

These are beautiful! best photos of London I have seen in a while!

16. Barbara March 23, 2013 at 11:10 am #

Fabulous images, the colors and details are excellent. I really enjoyed reading this post and following the guide on all the things that can be done in a day in London. I can’t wait to visit London and see them all!

• Jon Reid March 23, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Thanks Barbara – keep in mind that this was my personal recommendation and had to fit in one day. There is so much more to the city – I highly recommend a visit.
      Jon Reid recently posted..Photographing London – The Drapers Hall

17. Michael March 26, 2013 at 3:33 pm #

Nice shots! I love the dawn shot of the dock yard. Another gem o a shot: the graffitied skate park on the embankment a few hundred yards from the Tate Modern. It makes for excellent, colorful and vibrant urban photography.

18. Jeff April 2, 2013 at 7:29 pm #

All stunning photos, but I think my favorite is the laser from the Royal Observation Point.

Thanks for sharing these inspiring photos.
    Jeff recently posted..10 Tips for Visiting the Best Safari Park in Africa

5 fun markets in London

For years, my dad and I have been taking two-day trips to London. It’s become a sort of a tradition and [...]