Touring Costa Rica through the eyes of others

I was in Costa Rica a couple months back as the guest of Exodus Travels, a tour company based out of the U.K., to take a two-week bicycling tour of that Central American country. As fate would end up having it, the biking portion of my tour concluded before lunch on the first day.

More on that in an upcoming post this week.

Although I wasn’t really able to take my camera out much…. well frankly, not at all, as I didn’t take a single photo with my Nikon, I did want to take the opportunity to show you a few photos from the tour group I was a part of. I did take a few photos with my cell phone in San Jose before the tour started, but they really won’t show anything relevant to this tour, so I’ll stick with the photos that a few of my wonderful tour mates took.

Two of the people on the tour, my roommate and wonderfully crazy Scotsman named Gary and a soft spoken and kind gentleman from Northern California named Jim, were nice enough to share their photos from the tour with me and I’ve gone through them and picked a few out.

So this is a bit of the Exodus Travels Costa Rica bicycling tour… through the eyes and cameras of others.

feeding gator by hand

We took a boat trip one day on the tour. This guy was the boat guide. Strikes me as crazy, but he still had all his fingers.

costa rica frog

When I think of Costa Rican wildlife, this little thing is what I usually think of

bike tour group

the really wonderful people on my tour, including our incredible Exodus guide, Britten, down in the front

gary from exodus

My hilarious and fun roommate for my tour, Gary

paul fixing bike

Paul, the other guide on the trip, and the resident talented bike repair person

pretty pick flower

Some of the colors of Costa Rica

purple and red costa rica flowers

more of the colors of Costa Rica

shopkeeper with playboy calendar

Love this photo of a Costa Rican shopkeeper

kid cutting coconut

Getting some refreshement ready for the hard working bikers

costa rican animals

some of the animals of Costa Rica

My thanks to Exodus Travels who sponsored me for this tour. I wasn’t able to enjoy it as much as I wanted, but I am indebted to Exodus for how wonderfully they treated me after my accident. That being said, the opinions and thoughts on this post (though not the photos) are my own.

18 Responses to “Touring Costa Rica through the eyes of others” Subscribe

1. Lisa | LLworldtour May 27, 2013 at 9:21 am #

Nice shots from your fellow tour mates! Really cool of them to share.

• Michael Hodson May 28, 2013 at 5:39 am #

Absolutely. Really great, great group of people.

2. Ayngelina May 27, 2013 at 10:24 am #

It looks like such a fabulous trip. I don’t know if I would be fit enough to do this now but with a bit of training…

• Michael Hodson May 28, 2013 at 5:40 am #

I wasn’t fit enough to do this particular tour either. Though I would have liked to have made a longer effort at keeping up than I was able to!

3. Megan May 27, 2013 at 10:52 pm #

Wonderful photos! Costa Rica is such a photogenic country, and what a huge bummer about your injury. I’ve wanted to do a bike tour, but will definitely have to get my cycling fitness up…I’m assuming that walking your bike up a hill would be frowned upon…

• Michael Hodson May 28, 2013 at 5:44 am #

Yea, I wish I would have had a longer chance to check things out also. The central mountain area was so nice and I’d never seen that before. And I wasn’t able to join them on the Caribbean side also, which would have been great.

4. Ally May 28, 2013 at 5:35 am #

I wouldn’t stand that close to a crocodile if my life depended on it, that is one brave man!

• Michael Hodson May 28, 2013 at 5:44 am #

I thought he was completely crazy also!

5. Jennifer May 29, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Bummer about your accident. And very kind of your tour mates to share their photos. They are fantastic!

I spent some time in Costa Rica back in 1997 on a study abroad program with my high school. I almost fear going back and seeing all that has changed in the last 16 years.

6. Patty May 29, 2013 at 11:21 pm #

Before I read this, when I thought of Costa Rica I also thought of the bright green tree frog. Thanks for an all new perspective!

7. Arianwen June 2, 2013 at 9:14 am #

Cycling is about the only activity I didn’t do in Costa Rica. I can imagine it’s a great way to see more of the country.

8. Samantha June 3, 2013 at 9:47 pm #

awesome pictures!! I’ve seen people on the cross country bike rides and I applaud you for doing it! I actually haven’t seen that many bright green frogs (more like giant toads) but I live on the beach, not the rainforest. Definitely seen tons of white faced monkeys and iguanas though!

9. bala mariner June 4, 2013 at 4:22 am #

really all those shots are breath taking. . .
    really kud shots

10. john@discoverydiscovery June 6, 2013 at 8:23 am #

you know what..just simply looking at the pictures..it already made me intrigue about Costa rica..i might hit the place any time this year..awesome!

11. Costa Rica Tours June 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm #

Wow! Nice trip! Did you really stand that close to the crocodile? Amazing!

12. Jim June 17, 2013 at 9:37 pm #

Never thought of myself as “soft spoken” nor has anyone else who’s known me for very long. Paul and Britten were still the high point of that trip. I’d say that those pictures were way awesome but I’m just too humble. Jim.

• Michael Hodson June 21, 2013 at 9:52 pm #

Jim, everyone was more soft spoken on that trip, compared to me! Thanks again so much for the photos. And for the great company as I was recovering.

13. Mig June 26, 2013 at 7:46 pm #

Bike touring through Costa Rica looks like fun! I’m in country now and going to buy a bike and do this too!

Love to Ski? For Free? Read on (and enter)

If you enjoy spending some time on the slopes, or have considered taking up skiing or snowboarding, then I think [...]