Gary Arndt is an icon in the fairly recent booming travel blogging community and his blog, Everything-Everywhere is a must-read. He has been traveling and blogging around the world since 2007, which makes him the grizzled veteran of this community. He is pretty much everyone’s favorite blogging personality, one of the hosts of the podcast This Week in Travel, a notorious quick wit, and frankly, I was a bit intimidated to send him questions that were worthy of his status in the community. I quite look forward to meeting him in person in 2011. Somewhere.
His blog is Everything-Everywhere and it is one of the best travel photography blogs out there – though there is a lot more than just photographs, to be clear. Go check it out, if you haven’t already, after you read his answers to his personal Lucky 13.
As you know from Ayngelina’s interview, I am a huge fan of prime numbers, so I have decided on “The Lucky 13,” for the number of oddball questions I am going to be asking. Hope you enjoy getting to know a little bit about some great travelers with (mostly) non-travel, quick and off the cuff questions and answers. Here we go….
1. What fictional character would you most like to be?
Superman. It would dramatically cut down on the cost of plane tickets.
2. Who is the most annoying person in the world?
Kim Jon Il
3. Best single travel resource on the web, aside from yours.
4. Who plays you in the movie about your life?
Edward Norton after he gained some weight.
5. You can only shoot with one camera and one lens for the next full year — what are they going to be?
Probably my current lens and camera: Nikon D300s with an 18-200mm VR lens. It is the most versatile lens out there and its a crop sensor lens, so the top of the Nikon crop sensor heap is the D300s right now. There are better cameras, but this would be the best, lightest, all-around package.
6. Best single piece of technical advice (other than “provide good content”) you have received about travel blogging?
Start an email list (followed up and Gary was talking about “An email newsletter via Aweber”).
7. What is something you wouldn’t do for $100,000 cash, tax-free.
8. What is your single most treasured personal possession?
An original copy of National Geographic Magazine, Issue #1, Volume #1 from 1888.
9. What person from history, dead or alive, would you like to sit and share a few pints with?
10. Fill in the blank: the most annoying trait of my fellow travel bloggers is _________.
They tend to only market and talk to other travel bloggers. When I look at the comments for most travel blogs, it is other bloggers. You’ll never grow your blog if you just stick to that group.
11. Best hotel/hostel for under $25 a night you have ever stayed in?
A beach fale in the village of Manasas on the island of Savai’i in Samoa
12. Let’s hear one of your guilty pleasures — a good, embarrassing one.
13. You are able to ask one yes/no question to anyone in history and get a 100% honest reply — what is your question and to whom?
Elvis. Q: Are you really dead?
I forgot to add Ayngelina’s Twitter handle to her interview last week. Everyone should follow her here. Her interview is here and it, like Gary’s, is well worth a quick read.