I had the chance last fall to head to Grenada to spend a month or so with one of my good friends who works there. I scored a really great couple of sailboats to stay on there though my friend, including a 43 foot catamaran that I fell in love with and found plenty of great things to do in Grenada.
Grenada was actually discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1498 on his third voyage to the “New World,” but is more famous to Americans as the site of a truly insignificant short war we had during the Reagan presidency in 1983. I think it lasted about two days.
I particularly remember Grenada because it was the site for one of Clint Eastwood’s really horrible movies of that time, Heartbreak Ridge. The problem in 80s in the whole ear movie genre was that the United States hadn’t won a war in quite some time. So when we invaded Grenada, it provided the backdrop for Eastwood’s “war hero” movie — a war hero with a soft side, of course.
Best Five Things to Do in Grenada
So I have been sitting up here in the wonderful Pacific Northwest for a few weeks and although I am having a great time, I am fondly letting my mind wander to quality Caribbean holidays, because… I need some more warmth. So, whilst holidays in Grenada are on my mind, let me give you 5 things to do in Grenada, in the hopes you might think about adding it to your future itineraries.
(1) The Underwater Sculpture Garden. Designed by Jason de Caires Taylor, the underwater sculpture garden is slightly north of the capital town of St. Georges, it is easily viewable by snorkeling or scuba diving and is a really interesting artistic display, entirely underwater.
(2) The Grenada Chocolate Company, Ltd. For my foodie and chocolate lover friends out there. This chocolate manufacturer was a silver award winner in the 2011 London Academy of Chocolate Awards. It is one of the few small scale chocolate making fine chocolate right where the cocoa beans grow.
(3) Seven Sisters Falls. Hike up to these iconic waterfalls and cool off underneath them, in the pools ready made for a scene from a Hollywood movie. Simply one of the best things to do in Grenada — perfection both visually and for relaxation purposes.
(4) Walk around St. George’s. The capital of Grenada is underrated in my opinion. The older part of town is quite scenic and worthy of a few mornings or afternoons worth of strolls. Bring your camera — there are some buildings well worth snapping photos of.
(5) Dougaldston Spice Estate. I have done a couple spice tours and find the entire topic fascinating. Spices are such an important part of almost all types of cuisine and seeing how they are grown, harvested and developed as such is really interesting in my book.
So take a chance on Grenada. I hope I’ve given you a reasonable list of great things to do in Grenada, but there is a ton more — great beaches, really good scuba diving, excellent Caribbean food and wonderful people — along with some of the best sailing in the world. Enjoy.